Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: cant apt-get/dselect after update

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by qa1433
    Thanks Steve,
    The most important thing is the command you mentioned.
    apt-get -s upgrade

    The -s option is something I learned from you.

    This will save my behind.

    paul
    I use the -s for everything apt does saves you a whole lot of headaches if you try it out first.

  2. #12
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    79
    Just an update with my trials and sometimes failures of apt-get.!

    It works!
    Comment out everything except the stable, unstable and testing trees.

    This is the first time I did an upgrade without breaking my install.

    Also, use the apt-get -s (whatever you want to do ) to simulate what apt-get will do and check to make sure it is not going to remove any system packages you need or other packages you want.

    Pretty Kool!
    Thanks to all for helping me get a better understanding of this rebust command.
    paul

  3. #13

    Re: cant apt-get/dselect after update

    David, I tried using your example source.list, but it didn't solve my problem.

    What I'm trying to achieve:
    Eventually, I want to remove/install/update .debs to remaster a customized CD. But before I put a lot of effort to customize the system, I simply want to ensure my package inventory is without conflicts, so I can start with a known-good baseline.

    So I'm starting with a pristine unpack of the compressed filesystem, and a minimal sources.list, which I do a apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade. It is obviously expected that many packages will be upgraded; my concern is the conflict about mount-aes.

    From the responses above, I'm going on the assuption my sources.list wasnt minimal enough, so I've reduced it to simply:

    Code:
    deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
    However, when I apt-get dist-upgrade, I still get:

    WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
    This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
    mount-aes
    I find that warning unsettling and unexpected for what should be a relatively benign operation. The issue is that the dist-upgrade is trying to install mount.deb, but that conflicts with already-installed mount-aes.deb; apt is deciding that one of them must go, but it says I must type "Yes, do as I say!" Why the conflict and the dire warning?

    So what is the right/best way to fix the conflict that's trying to remove mount-aes? Is my sources.list missing the repository that provides mount-aes.deb? (I did have non-us repositories, but that didn't help) Or should I just let the mount.deb replace mount-aes, and not worry about it?

    TIA

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by qa1433
    Comment out everything except the stable, unstable and testing trees.
    Could you post your actual functioning sources.list? Thanks

  5. #15
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    79
    mew,
    Please see below. Also note that the Apt Config File point to testing. So if there are major dependencies problems say from unstable it will not upgrade it. This is to protect you from trashing your system.

    In my previous post I mentioned that I commented out everything except the unstable tree. This could be the main reason for me trashing your system.
    paul
    `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````
    #Apt Config File
    APT:efault-Release "testing";
    APT::Cache-Limit 10000000;
    Apt::Get::Purge;
    `````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````
    # See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
    # Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
    # CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.

    # Security updates for "stable"
    deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
    deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main contrib non-free

    # Stable
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian stable main contrib non-free
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

    # Sources
    deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian stable main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

    # Testing
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian testing main contrib non-free
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

    # Sources
    deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian testing main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

    # Unstable
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
    deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

    # Sources
    deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

    # Experimental
    # deb http://debian.uni-essen.de/debian ../project/experimental main contrib non-free
    # deb-src http://debian.uni-essen.de/debian ../project/experimental main contrib non-free

    # Mozilla
    #deb http://non-us.debian.org/~kitame/mozilla ./
    #deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/~kitame/mozilla ./

    # GNOME 2.0
    # deb http://www.gnome.de/debian/ ./

    # KDE 3
    # deb http://ktown.kde.org/~nolden/kde stable main
    # deb-src http://ktown.kde.org/~nolden/kde stable main
    # We get packages from testing/unstable for now

    # cdbakeoven
    # deb http://coyote.asoc.euitt.upm.es/mud/debian/ ./

    # XFree 4.2/4.3
    #deb http://people.debian.org/~branden/packages sid/i386/
    #deb-src http://people.debian.org/~branden/packages sid/source/
    #deb http://www.penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/i386 ./
    #deb-src http://www.penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/source ./

    # Java
    #deb ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian woody main non-free
    #deb-src ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian woody main non-free
    #deb ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian unstable main non-free
    #deb-src ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian unstable main non-free
    # deb http://people.debian.org/~sgybas/jdk13

    # LyX & others (now in debian/unstable)
    # deb ftp://ntama.uni-mainz.de/pub/debian unofficial/
    # deb-src ftp://ntama.uni-mainz.de/pub/debian unofficial/

    # Evolution
    #deb ftp://ftp.ximian.com/pub/debian stable main
    #deb-src ftp://ftp.ximian.com/pub/debian stable main

    # Blades Repository (pppoeconf & co)
    #deb http://people.debian.org/~blade/testing ./
    #deb-src http://people.debian.org/~blade/testing ./

    # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r3 _Potato_ - Official i386 Binary-1 (20010427)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Dselect
    By Sgeo in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 03:28 AM
  2. FYI: dselect update breaks KNOPPIX 3.6!
    By Steve F in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 06:41 PM
  3. dselect unable to search packages
    By Adm in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 05:09 PM
  4. dselect/aptitude/apt-get
    By garyng in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2003, 08:12 PM
  5. Dselect attempting to remove 156 packages
    By lgalea in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 01:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$49.99



Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k picture

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k

$300.00



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE

$6299.00



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare

$1800.00



Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$59.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



MPH MACBCOOL Cooling Module for Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Plus 1001-250 picture

MPH MACBCOOL Cooling Module for Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Plus 1001-250

$1000.00



Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 picture

Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110

$129.99



Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010) picture

Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)

$149.00



Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs picture

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs

$14.99