Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: "You passed an undefined mode number"

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2

    "You passed an undefined mode number"

    First of all I'll clarify that I'm dumb when it comes to this. I am basically trying to boot to a knoppix cd with my usb plugged so that I can copy some documents off of a computer before I blow it out and reload the OS.

    This system is a Compaq (1st problem) PIII866 with Windows 2000 (2nd problem).

    I've looked all over at the documentation and forum for an answer to my question and have tried a couple of things but don't really know what I'm doing. I need some layman explaination, sorry

    I boot and get the "You passed an undefined mode number" I have tried to let it find what it's looking for automatically and I have also hit return at which time it gives me a list. I tried all the numbered options in the list and none result in the screen I'm looking for (interface).

    I did try "boot: knoppix vga=0 debug -b 3" and got through stage 1, 2, and it started 3 and ended at
    INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
    root@tty1[/]#

    It still didn't help me and I'm not sure what that all meant. But like I said, this is all Greek to me

    I boot up and it looks like it gets to "Starting X11" after this point the screen looks like it needs a horizontal hold adjustment and I never get to the interface or if it is there I can't see it.

    I would appreciate any help I could get. Thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Dummy needs to learn how to use subject line

    Dummy needs to learn how to use subject line.

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16574
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Please fix your sbject line by editing the post.

    The
    "You passed an undefined mode number"
    can be ignored. You can enter a zero "0" or just press enter.

    It sounds like knoppix is doing the best it can at autodetecting the video hardware (perhaps getting it wrong) & then setting a resolution & refresh rate that is beyond the capabilities of the hardware. Try booting knoppix with some Cheat Codes, such as:
    knoppix screen=800x600 xvrefresh=60
    knoppix screen=640x480 xvrefresh=60

    I hope this helps.
    James

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2
    Sorry Harry I corrected that thanks to help from Underscore. I will try putting in the cheat codes. I assume you type them in before you hit <Return> to start the boot.

Similar Threads

  1. Undefined video mode number:317
    By ajpugliese in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 06:58 PM
  2. Booting problem - with "undefined mode"
    By Taffy Apple in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 01:01 PM
  3. Graphic Problems - "You passed an undefined mode number
    By sunpascal in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 12:21 AM
  4. You passed an undefined mode number???
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 03:30 PM
  5. "Undefined mode" error
    By Mustang64 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 05:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair

$88.75



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2 picture

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2

$70.00



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



Atari 1200xl Original ROM And MMU set picture

Atari 1200xl Original ROM And MMU set

$20.00