-
A GNU development environment
Hi
I started a new semester at school and in my Assembly class, we will be developing in Linux. Not having any other choice, I'm using Knoppix 3.9 LiveCD on my laptop since I can't install Linux on it. However, I can't find the tools we will be using in class. I know that they are included on the cd, but I don't know how to reach them.
We are using the GNU tools, mainly:
make
gcc and g++
as
ld
etc
in class, the teacher only calls them in the shell by using the name of the tool, so I guess they have to be set up to work in any folder...
Is it possible to set up Knoppix to do the same? If so, is it easily done so I can redo it every time I boot into Knoppix?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Nothing to be set up, just type the commands in on konsole. The executables all live in directories that are in your PATH
(<code> echo $PATH</code>). Also try <code> type gcc</code> to find out where exactly "gcc" is located.
Good luck with your course!
-
ok so since the executables are all in the PATH variable, it should be possible to call them from any folder by simply typing <code>gcc</code> for example, right?
-
its works fine now...
i dont know what was wrong then, because i just do the same thing and it works....
-
Senior Member
registered user
aww man, i am so glad that at least one school is teaching linux... at me school... i said to the info tech guy, why arnt we learning something fun, like linux... and he just looked at me blankly... and then ignored me... thats why i didnt do it this year...
Similar Threads
-
By rcs in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-16-2005, 05:01 AM
-
By citpeks in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-29-2004, 05:14 PM
-
By AS in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-01-2004, 07:36 PM
-
By Kethinov in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-03-2003, 05:46 PM
-
By xound in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-15-2003, 07:06 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$374.48

Dell Precision T7820 Dual Xeon 4214R 48GB RAM 512GB + 1TB Quadro P400 Win 11
$699.00

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99