Hey everyone, new to linux here. I just recently did a HD install to a very old Toshiba Satellite notebook and I'm having some issues.
I have 3 big issues.
1) My monitor is all messed up. the whole viewing area is a 3inchX3inch box, and I can't change the resolution at all. when I was using the live CD I would remedy this by inputting: xmodule=fbdev screen= 1024x768. But I would like to change it to be able to have it full screen all the time as default.
2) My keyboard appears to have been picked up wrong. Shift control and all of the letters and everything work but for some reason some of the other keys are misplaced. If I hold shift and try to make a question mark, a "-" comes in it's place. If I try and type this: ")" I get this instead "(".
3) trying to modify my XF86Config-4 file but I can't save since I don't have permission from the root, and I can't get permission from the root becuase I don't know how. (I thought I'd easily be able to find this using search in the forums but for some reason I wasn't able to)
Anyone have a few solutions to my problems? Thanks in advance!

Rainbow Apple Logo Travel Bag Computer Carrying Case Black Vintage
$250.00
🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99
Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99
🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00
Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95
Vintage 64MB EDO Laptop RAM Lot 144-Pin LGS Hyundai HB56UW264D8-6L 60ns
$19.49
Chuan Wei 2464 VW-1 80 Degrees 300V E138961 5.5 Ft Cable Cord Vintage
$64.98
5 Vintage Apple Newton Stickers – Original Apple Memorabilia
$15.00
Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.
$135.37
HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72