Well after going to http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/n...00000000000000
i learned the command I was typing was e2fsck.
Well.. I did a harddrive install everything was fine
then one day I booted up and it said my partion is mounted read only and that it needs me to run a commanded to fix it. it wanted me to remount it read write ..
I think I did that ok..
then it wanted me to do a command to fix the harddive problem. it was like e2fc or something like that with -b 8139 or something like that it wanted me to try so I typed it in corectly (what ever the command was) -b the number they sujested /dev/hda1 (my device) although nothing happened .. I can access my files any othere way othere then booting from the cd and the cd is too slow...
I wanna access my files again and boot from hd again is there anyone who can help me fix this.. maybe when I am in the cd. can I right click or run some command from a shell or something that will fix the boot block or errors on this drive ? without damaging the way it booted before.. not sure what happened although I know we had a few power outages the night before that might of done.. it.. any help appreatiated.. thanks in advance
Well after going to http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/n...00000000000000
i learned the command I was typing was e2fsck.
Ok, heres a update...
I read that if I am not sure I should just run this...
fsck -a -t ext2 /dev/hda1
So I did and well this is what it got me.. not too sure what to do now?! anyone
--------------
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# fsck -a -t ext2 /dev/hda1
fsck 1.30-WIP (30-Sep-2002)
/dev/hda1 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
/dev/hda1: Entry 'log' in /dev (130305) has deleted/unused inode 132176. CLEARED.
/dev/hda1: Optimizing directories: 130305
/dev/hda1: Unattached inode 130307
/dev/hda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)..
root@ttyp1[knoppix]#
------------------------
ok dokie it does nothing when just type in fsck
well it gives me
-----
root@ttyp1[knoppix]# fsck
fsck 1.30-WIP (30-Sep-2002)
root@ttyp1[knoppix]#
-------------
Tottaly lost...
I just want some command to fix it so I can go back to linux .. I love this thing
ok here is what i figured out
I typed e2fsck /dev/hda1 (I gathere this is what they ment by manual type in fsck.
it scaned files and dirs and stuff did alot of
---------
Unattached inode 132139
Connect to /lost+found<y>? yes
Inode 132139 ref count is 2, should be 1. Fix<y>? yes
Unattached inode 132147
Connect to /lost+found<y>? yes
Inode 132147 ref count is 2, should be 1. Fix<y>? yes
Unattached inode 132148
Connect to /lost+found<y>? yes
-------------------------
I just kept entering to the standard <y> (yes by pressing enter to all!)
then I got
---------------------
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
Block bitmap differences: -262731
Fix<y>? yes
Free blocks count wrong for group #8 (15667, counted=1566.
Fix<y>? yes
Free blocks count wrong (234069, counted=234070).
Fix<y>? yes
/dev/hda1: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/hda1: 128692/390912 files (0.1% non-contiguous), 547082/781152 blocks
root@ttyp1[knoppix]#
----------------
SO now I attempt to reboot and see if it works?!
feel free if you seem to know what is going on here to make me feel alot better and tell me I am doing fine or point me in the right direction..
I feel like I am talking to a wall and begging for help..
Nope.. same thing..
ok well here is what it says
it tells me that it can load the superblock
and it wants me to mount the device hda1 read write.. and run
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
I do that and it tells me the same thing
I typed in e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda1
and it tells me it can access the super block
is there othere numbers I can put in instead of 8193 ??
HELP?!
its great I can still access my work but I wanna login and run from hd not slow cd...
Anyone know how to fix this?
ugh...
I reloaded.. but if I get anouther power outage.. is this the way linux is.. should I be running fat32 .. cause it seems to recover better then a ext2 if this is the case linux can't be this unstable..
how do I mark the parts of my drive so it does not use the bad parts?!
In my slack box it would recover from a simple power outtage.
I reloaded .. apt-get updated .. tweeked.. was ready to go.. rebooted a few times everything was yadda yadda
now all I did to test .. was reboot..
and again it could not recover.. is does fsck have a bug in it.. where do I go to check this?
I had the same problem! I thought it was something I did to my fstab file but I was locked out the same as you more than once. I used xcdroast to save important stuff(after booting in with the cd) and just did a reinstall. I love how fast knoppix goes in! But truthfully for the time being I am using Redhat 8 because I had guests for the Holidays and RH seems pretty much the most stable distro I have used of late. When they leave I'll play some more and hopefully knoppix will continue to stableize.
Happy New Year!!!!

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00
32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold
$121.00
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3
$200.00
Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99
64 GB Ram (32x2) Memory for laptop: Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.
$280.00