Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Getting Airsnort to work with knoppix 3.9

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2

    Getting Airsnort to work with knoppix 3.9

    I have a Orinoco gold classic, 802.11b card that I bought specifically so it would work with knoppix-std but std is now way out of date. So I'm trying to get airsnort to work with knoppix 3.9. My card loads fine and I seem to be able to connect to my wireless network fine, but when I open airsnort and hit start, nothing happens.

    I presume I need to set the card to monitor mode or somesuch? I used to use kismet all the time, and had no problems with it but I don't recall what I need to do, exactly, in order to get airsnort started running.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2
    found the answer.

    iwconfig eth0 -m monitor

    or maybe its iwconfig eth0 mode monitor. I foget, but should be apparently from iwconfig --help.
    needs to be run as root. then have to run airsnort as root as well.

    although it seems the version of airsnort installed isn't new enough to be all that useful.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2
    close but no banna, having basicly the same problem tring to run airsnort... card works fine normally. ie.
    Internet works fine, without errors. i do set it manualy iwconfig then ifconfig then route and resolv..

    # iwconfig eth1 mode monitor
    Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) : SET failes on device eth1 ; Invalid argument

    air snort gives me a ....
    wlanctl-ng: Operation not supported ( when tring to start scan )

    and a "Gdk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library"
    when i try to start airsnort.

    i got airsnort from apt.
    and the card is a orinoco(silver i think) but badged a lucent.

    the card surfs the net etc, just wont sniff...

    Thanks..

    Linux will rule, soon.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    50
    Try using Aircrack+Airodump+Aireplay..

    Works very efficiently!

    http://www.grape-info.com/doc/linux/...crack-2.3.html

    This page tells you everything you need to know!

    Try using Kismet and Ethereal for other good Wireless Security tools.

Similar Threads

  1. Warning running airsnort!
    By mentaL704 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 07:26 AM
  2. How to use airsnort???
    By Kumagoro in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 05:27 PM
  3. Knoppix STD and Airsnort
    By fblz_no_limit in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-23-2004, 03:54 PM
  4. knoppix 3.2 + airsnort won't work :(
    By diablo266 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-10-2003, 02:58 PM
  5. AirSnort and Orinoco
    By Adam P in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-21-2003, 11:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$344.74



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99