-
linux/windows network
I'm a fresh out of the womb Knoppix newbie with zero networking experience (well, I once set up an all Windows home network but it was pretty automatic). My goal is to connect my Knoppix box to a D-Link DI 604 router so I can access the cable modem supplied by the cable company (BrightHouse/RoadRunner). I, then, would like to connect my two Windows XP boxes as clients to share the internet connection and share files. I started out just trying a direct ethernet connection between the linux box and the cable modem to see if I could establish a connection but failed. I'm online now using that same direct ethernet cable connected to my WinXP laptop so I know the connection is good.
If someone here could walk me through the baby steps I'd be very grateful.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Here is the basics for connecting your Knoppix system to the Dlink router and getting on the Internet:
- Make sure the computer is connected to the router. You plan on using the same computer and wired connection, so that part is good.
Boot Knoppix.
Put a URL in the browser window that is open when you boot.
That's it. Knopix should get all of it's setup information from the router by DHCP.
Networking to the windows system isn't much more complex, but may be a bit diffenent for XP than for the Win98 system I usually use (due to changes Windows made, not to any issue with Knoppix). It's been discussed in these forums many tomes, a little searhing should find you plenty of information.
-
Thanks for your help! I now have my Knoppix box hooked to my router and connected to the internet. My Windows laptop is also hooked up to the router and sharing the internet. That was easy. Now I have to learn a little about Knoppix and Samba so I can load my graphic and music files from my laptop to the Knoppix box.
-
Strangest thing. I rebooted the Knoppix box (I have it running from the HD) and now it won't connect to the internet. Is there something I'm missing?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
jgrealish
Strangest thing. I rebooted the Knoppix box (I have it running from the HD) and now it won't connect to the internet. Is there something I'm missing?
You seem to be mising the warning we give new users that Knoppix isn't really intended to install to the hard disk. In particular, Networking has been breaking after a hard disk "install" for about three years now, the second post to the HDD forum back in 2002 was about Networking breaking after a HD install, and I've seen a steady stream of them since. Nothing strange about it.
-
Forgive my newbie mistakes. I'm learning. The post you referred to gave a fix. How do I edit that file? From a console window?
Similar Threads
-
By mmmattias in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-20-2006, 07:39 AM
-
By homer in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 04-16-2004, 04:39 AM
-
By mementomike in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-31-2004, 10:54 AM
-
By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
-
By fermier in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-15-2003, 01:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK
$169.95

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99