Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix 3.8.1 on USB pen

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    34

    Knoppix 3.8.1 on USB pen

    Hi,
    I want to install Knoppix on an USB pen. How much space would this take? I don't have a pen yet and I don't want to buy one that hasn't enough capacity.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: Knoppix 3.8.1 on USB pen

    Quote Originally Posted by s-m-n
    Hi,
    I want to install Knoppix on an USB pen. How much space would this take? I don't have a pen yet and I don't want to buy one that hasn't enough capacity.
    Unless you want to remaster knoppix to make it smaller, you will most likely need about 700MB, which is the size of the ISO. There is not much stuff you can remove besides the big /KNOPIPIX/KNOPPIX file. I have it working on a 1GB USB dongle. Look in here how I did it: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796
    Best Regards, Gilles

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    34
    OK, thanks. I only want to put a standard Knoppix installation on the pen. Is it possible to split it into 2 partitions (ext2 and fat32)? I want to carry windows data next to the knoppix system, too. Err, is the pen bootable after the installation?

  4. #4
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by s-m-n
    OK, thanks. I only want to put a standard Knoppix installation on the pen. Is it possible to split it into 2 partitions (ext2 and fat32)? I want to carry windows data next to the knoppix system, too. Err, is the pen bootable after the installation?
    If you use the hp utility I am talking about, your USB dongle will bootable and formatted with a fat 16 which writable by both windows and Linux. Let me how this works for you. Cheers, Gilles

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    34
    Thank you for accepting and answering my stupid questions.

    If you use the hp utility I am talking about, your USB dongle will bootable and formatted with a fat 16 which writable by both windows and Linux. Let me how this works for you.
    So Knoppix would be installed and be bootable on the fat16 formatted pen? Did I understand this right?

    Would this solution you described work on any computer that is able to boot from USB devices (means that the whole knoppix data is on the dongle)? I want to have Knoppix on the dongle to do some Linux presentation without CD and so on. So it should be independent on system
    configuration of the target computer. And 1 GB is enough?

    I've partially read your thread linked above. It seems to be interesting, especially eco2geek's posting (the second on the second page), that starts with
    "JD -- Here's some ideas for you. Happy to be a guinea pig. I expect you or someone else will catch some errors.
    So, you set your BIOS's boot order to boot first off the USB key, then off the hard disk. If it doesn't find a USB key, it boots into Windows. That what you're looking for?" and so on.


    Thank you very much!
    regards, s-m-n

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99