Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Cannot boot from new harddisk

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2

    Cannot boot from new harddisk

    Hello!

    I have a notebook with a 40 GB harddisk.
    Partitioning is (says QTParted)
    a few megs unpartitioned space
    a logical partition with winXP in it
    a primary datapartition with vfat
    a primary swap partition
    a primary ext3 partition with kanotix 2005-03 on it.

    Everything is working well.
    now I've baught a 80 GB USB harddisk, connected it to the notebook and copied the old disk to the new one with
    a Knoppix (DVD-Version from LinuxTag) and the command
    dd if=/UNIONFS/dev/hda of=/UNIONFS/dev/uba

    then I removed the 40GB disk from the notebook and inserted the 80 GB disk.
    First I thaught everithing works well. Grub displays the correct systems and Windows is booting fine.
    But the Kanotix gets a kernel-panik when booting.

    In QTParted, the partitions and on the new disk are shown correct as on the old one.

    Any suggestions where this kernel-panic could come from?
    And sorry if i am in the wrong forum, but I just don't know where to start.

    blubb

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2
    Hello again.

    I've got it working.

    I don't know exactly what it was. I've done a few things:

    The first time I've forgotten to deactivate swap in Knoppix (via bootoption noswap)
    Now I deactivated it and copied the swap- and the linux-partition again.
    After that I've done a fsck.ext3 -f on the linux-partition which didn't show any errors and now the Kanotix boots as it schould.

    Just would let you know.

    blubb

Similar Threads

  1. Cannot boot when harddisk with NTFS is plugged
    By lissyx in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-17-2005, 07:38 PM
  2. USB harddisk boot
    By Fabrice in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2005, 11:39 PM
  3. How to boot as Debian after copying file to harddisk
    By winglion in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 08:54 AM
  4. usb-harddisk boot
    By theomega in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 05:12 PM
  5. USB harddisk
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 06:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



Intel Core Ultra 7 265K 3.9GHz LGA 1851 Processor  picture

Intel Core Ultra 7 265K 3.9GHz LGA 1851 Processor

$249.99