-
Changing permissions with LiveCD
Hi all!
I am new to Linux... I searched the forum looking for an answer to my question, but there is something I don't understand.
I'm using the Knoppix 3.9 LiveCD.
I want to change the permissions in order to be able write on my HD.
In the shell, I type su root (it seemed to be no root pwd) , so I get the root access...
After obtained root access and gone in the /mnt directory I see this:
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Sep 9 13:05 auto
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Sep 9 12:54 cdrom -> /mnt/auto/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Sep 9 12:54 floppy -> /mnt/auto/floppy
dr-xr-xr-x 1 knoppix knoppix 8192 Sep 9 06:46 hda1
so, the owner of the HD is "knoppix" user. I tryed to change the ownership,
root@1[mnt]# chown root hda1
but I have this message:
chown: changing ownership of `hda1': Read-only file system
I obtain the same message also with chmod.
...so my question is: if I am root user, shouldn't I have full-access on the system? Shouldn't I do evereything I want?
The hda1 dir should be read-only just for the knoppix user and group, shouldn't it?!
Thanks for all the answers you would give me!!
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
You are going at it completely wrong.
There are 2 ways I have made changes to write to the hard disk (do not try to write to NTFS partitions, you will destroy the partition).
- 1) At a command promp, use the mount command to remount the partition as read/write. See man mount for details.
2) From the desktop and the GUI: Right click on the partition icon. Select the actions ... sub-menu. Make the partition writeable.
Similar Threads
-
By crazy_monkey108 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-19-2006, 09:23 AM
-
By jhastings in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-27-2005, 12:04 PM
-
By bernstine in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-26-2005, 09:29 AM
-
By Frank362 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-21-2005, 12:29 PM
-
By bigbene in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-16-2003, 05:35 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Atari SX212 Modem for IBM-Compatible Systems w/ Power Adapter & Manuals NOS
$125.00

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly
$18.95

Atari Home Computer Software/Books/Manuals/Magazines Lot - Read desc for details
$95.00

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 400 800 Computer Floppy Disk Lot Of 26 Antic Flexible Disk Control Data
$42.00

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS
$16.95

Atari 410 Program Recorder repair w manual sheet/ adapter cord
$23.99

Atari 800 Home Computer 48K RAM In Original Box w/ Styro RF Switch Extra Games
$349.30

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29