Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Changing permissions with LiveCD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3

    Changing permissions with LiveCD

    Hi all!

    I am new to Linux... I searched the forum looking for an answer to my question, but there is something I don't understand.

    I'm using the Knoppix 3.9 LiveCD.

    I want to change the permissions in order to be able write on my HD.

    In the shell, I type su root (it seemed to be no root pwd) , so I get the root access...

    After obtained root access and gone in the /mnt directory I see this:

    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Sep 9 13:05 auto
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Sep 9 12:54 cdrom -> /mnt/auto/cdrom
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Sep 9 12:54 floppy -> /mnt/auto/floppy
    dr-xr-xr-x 1 knoppix knoppix 8192 Sep 9 06:46 hda1

    so, the owner of the HD is "knoppix" user. I tryed to change the ownership,

    root@1[mnt]# chown root hda1

    but I have this message:

    chown: changing ownership of `hda1': Read-only file system

    I obtain the same message also with chmod.

    ...so my question is: if I am root user, shouldn't I have full-access on the system? Shouldn't I do evereything I want?
    The hda1 dir should be read-only just for the knoppix user and group, shouldn't it?!

    Thanks for all the answers you would give me!!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    You are going at it completely wrong.

    There are 2 ways I have made changes to write to the hard disk (do not try to write to NTFS partitions, you will destroy the partition).

    • 1) At a command promp, use the mount command to remount the partition as read/write. See man mount for details.

      2) From the desktop and the GUI: Right click on the partition icon. Select the actions ... sub-menu. Make the partition writeable.

Similar Threads

  1. Changing User Permissions?
    By crazy_monkey108 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 09:23 AM
  2. changing permissions for floppy
    By jhastings in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 12:04 PM
  3. changing permissions of /usr running liveCD
    By bernstine in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2005, 09:29 AM
  4. Changing Drive Permissions
    By Frank362 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 12:29 PM
  5. Changing file permissions
    By bigbene in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2003, 05:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OWC ThunderBay 4 4-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID Enclosure picture

OWC ThunderBay 4 4-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID Enclosure

$119.99



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA HDD/SSD External Hard Drive, USB 3

$59.99



Dell 01M71J PERC H740P 12Gbps PCI-E SAS RAID Controller 1M71J picture

Dell 01M71J PERC H740P 12Gbps PCI-E SAS RAID Controller 1M71J

$70.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN picture

Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN

$55.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US picture

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US

$49.50