Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Remastered knoppix 3.8 with gnome - but no sound on CD

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103

    Remastered knoppix 3.8 with gnome - but no sound on CD

    I have succeeded in remastring knoppix 3.8 with gnome finally. However, the sound does not work on CD. After HD install every thing works fine. It seems to me that it is a conflict between esd and alsa. Any suggestion?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    Re: Remastered knoppix 3.8 with gnome - but no sound on CD

    Quote Originally Posted by knopx4me
    I have succeeded in remastring knoppix 3.8 with gnome finally. However, the sound does not work on CD. After HD install every thing works fine. It seems to me that it is a conflict between esd and alsa. Any suggestion?
    I have tried to remaster Gnome too but got frustrated because I could not get hal loaded automatically, because it needs some files from /var/run/dbus directory, and it gets emptied during cleanup process.

    Of course, you have gnome-volume-manager installed?

    The other thing in my remastering: I can't get gnome started automatically. If I start my remastering in runlevel 2, 'init 5' don't start Gnome. But 'su - knoppix' and 'startx' works.

    I tried to install gnx-installer too but it needs some KDE packages as kdm and kdelibs4. I hope I get Knoppix DVD in my hand soon. There is Gnome also included and I think it can be started with cheatcode 'desktop=gnome'.

    This is not an answer to your question, sorry, but I try to get other people also remaster Knoppix with Gnome - so there would be more experience to share

    -tapsa-

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    tr

    It seems to me there is something preventing alsa initializing. After running the CD I did alsaconf and got everything to work. I wish some one can help in resolving this issue. Once I complete it I will try to upload it to the net so everyone can remaster for his needs.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    Problem solved by installing gstreamer0.8-oss_0.8.11-1_i386.deb. Now, sound works fine. However, this made the remastered knoppix less stable like Parsix. I hope some one can offer a solution. I noticed that Gnoppix uses Xorg instead of XFree86 does that help?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    Ok. All problems solved by replacing kernel image with the one comes with Kanotix along with all required packages.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by knopx4me
    Ok. All problems solved by replacing kernel image with the one comes with Kanotix along with all required packages.
    is there somewhere a step-by-step howto from kde to gnome remastering ?

    I have almost succeeded (startx in a chroot is ok, with sound but what if I wand gdm to log automatically a user, say knoppix ?


    (e.g. I want to remove stuff like kdeinit and kdesmserver, and so on...)

    thanks for any help

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    To install Gnome I followed the following:

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ht=mepis+gnome

    To remaster it I used:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867

    Thanks to James.

    I made Gnome the default desktop in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig and /etc/X11/Xsession/45Xsession

    To make gdm logon knoppix as the default user, I started gdm as root in chrooted environment and selected that.

Similar Threads

  1. Any Remastered knoppix 3.9 CD?
    By CytoTech in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-14-2005, 04:47 PM
  2. changes to a remastered knoppix cd
    By rust in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 07:45 PM
  3. Getting gnome to reload a saved session off remastered CD
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2004, 11:09 PM
  4. Not Gnome, But Gnome Ready?
    By beforewisdom in forum Ideas
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 02:10 PM
  5. booting remastered knoppix from HD
    By mehlng in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 12:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop picture

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop

$40.00



Netac 512GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/MAC picture

Netac 512GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/MAC

$73.00