Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Help copying files on NTFS drive

  1. #1

    Help copying files on NTFS drive

    I know that file writting is not recommended on a NTFS drive, but I was wondering if I would be able to do this.

    Recently my registry within Windows XP Professional SP2 became corrupted which would not allow me to boot into Windows at all. It also prevents me from being able to access the Recovery Console and from formatting my drive and re-installing Windows through the Windows XP CD installer. Now without having to format my drive I'd like to be able to repair my registry. I read up on how to do so by copying the registry snapshots from an older System Restore point.

    My problem is I'm not sure if Knoppix would allow me to do this since it is a NTFS partition. I tried to enable writing to the disk by going to the properties of the drive and enabling read/write for all users as well as unchecked the read only box in the next tab. Doing so I still cannot edit the files on this drive at all.

    What I want to know for sure is would copying files that are already on the drive (the backed up registry files) to another part of the drive (the config folder in system32) corrupt those files? And if not, then what am I doing wrong to enable file writing in Knoppix.

    I'm using version 3.9.2 of Knoppix by the way, if that helps at all.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Writing to an NTFS partition is highly likely to destroy the entire partition, not just the files in question. The way to recover with Knoppix when you can't access the files with XP, is to use Knoppix to read the files and move them to another computer on the network, save them to a USB flash device, write them to a CD or CDRW, Write themto a disk with a FAT partition on it, transfer them to temporary spac on the Internet, or even e-mail them to yourself.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1
    HI

    I am interested to know how can I edit my files and copy them, transfer them in to my hard disk within knoppix environment.

    Hope to share any info this issue,

    Thank you.

    Faycal

Similar Threads

  1. Trouble copying files to USB flash drive
    By tdeshler in forum Laptops
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-14-2008, 01:57 AM
  2. Copy files from NTFS drive to another drive
    By Kehart25 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2006, 06:19 PM
  3. Copying NTFS Files
    By HappyDays in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2005, 06:29 AM
  4. Delete files from NTFS drive
    By hebo in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 12:22 PM
  5. Copying files/dirs from NTFS mount to network
    By DukeNukemPT in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 07:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus picture

Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus

$64.95



Vintage Clear M6531 Apple Pro Speakers by Harman Kardon For iMac G4  picture

Vintage Clear M6531 Apple Pro Speakers by Harman Kardon For iMac G4

$59.45



Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



Apple PowerBook 3400c TFT LCD RARE Vintage Laptop untested picture

Apple PowerBook 3400c TFT LCD RARE Vintage Laptop untested

$139.99



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99



Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984 picture

Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984

$179.99