Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Saving Settings on HD + optimizing with 1G of Ram

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Rockland, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1

    Saving Settings on HD + optimizing with 1G of Ram

    I finally found a linux version that does all the things I need right off the disc, and it looks great too.

    I'm going to take the advice that is being given here and stop trying to get 4.0 to boot from the HD until I can actually do it myself. BTW I can get the debian install to boot but much prefer the knoppix look and feel and of course that's the one that stops booting at the "Kernel Panic not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block".


    In the last couple of weeks I've tried Mepis, Ubuntu, Alinux, Ark Linux along with the Debian install on the Knoppix DVD. Nothing compares to Knoppix 4.0 for having all the right stuff for me anyway and my wife who needs Java for her specific surfing. As a rooky I was looking for a system that would do the basic things I needed right off the bat because I don't have a clue how to put it together myself,,,, yet. I've just registered for some night classes at the local college because my ignorance about Linux is driving me crazy.

    Until then, can someone help me out with a few things.

    I have a dedicated 1G desktop with 1G of memory and a 30g HD I've been trying to get Knoppix 4.0 to boot from. It has a DVD reader not a re-writer writer.
    Anyway, with all the reading I've been doing I've come accross other possible setups, one that uses all that memory I have and the other is to save all my settings on the HD. Hopefully the live DVD boot will use the saved settings from the harddrive and I'll be able to use the system long term for mail and stuff.

    So, how do I get the live DVD to include my personal settings (like e-mail account, surfing preferences) while booting?

    Second, how do I get Knoppix to load more of itself into ram to speed things up. I read somewhere that Knoppix has a way of doing this when you have this much ram?

    Or did I miss something here and is there a way I can make the Debian install on the disc look like the knoppix that boots up live?

    Finally am I nuts trying to do this as a rooky or maybe this is a good way to get my feet wet?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1
    You can try a couple of things on knoppix prompt. If you press the f2 or f3 one will get a lot of options. To load the knoppix to a gig of ram use the toram option and use the dma option to speed it up.

    gV

Similar Threads

  1. saving settings
    By ozgurgerilla in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 11:00 AM
  2. saving settings
    By punkpaddy in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2003, 08:45 AM
  3. saving settings
    By ankit in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2003, 03:23 AM
  4. Saving settings to a URL?
    By true1ever in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-13-2003, 02:27 PM
  5. Saving settings to a floppy
    By broy in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-17-2003, 08:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.50



HYNIX HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK 32GB PC4-2666V 2RX4 RDIMM MEMORY HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK picture

HYNIX HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK 32GB PC4-2666V 2RX4 RDIMM MEMORY HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK

$189.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit picture

TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit

$199.99



Lot of 3 SK HYNIX 16GB 1RX4 PC4-2666V-RC2-11 DDR4 Server MEMORY HMA82GR7AFR4N-VK picture

Lot of 3 SK HYNIX 16GB 1RX4 PC4-2666V-RC2-11 DDR4 Server MEMORY HMA82GR7AFR4N-VK

$180.00



SAMSUNG M386A8K40BM2-CTD 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 MEMORY picture

SAMSUNG M386A8K40BM2-CTD 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 MEMORY

$270.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00