Did you read the downloading faq and follow all of the tips in it?
Did you check the md5 checksum before burning?
Did you burn at a slow speed?
Did you try the testcd option at boot time?
I have loaded my Knoppix in the past no problems, but it is crashing my machine at the end of the loading. Well, actually it seems to be turning off the monitor while the computer is still on.
I also noticed a line during startup that went something like this:
read error position 727100242 cdrom /knoppix etc
then
error -3 uncompressing block.........etc
:done
Maybe this is not the problem?? I ran the disk on another machine with no problems. How can I troubleshoot this?
thanks
Did you read the downloading faq and follow all of the tips in it?
Did you check the md5 checksum before burning?
Did you burn at a slow speed?
Did you try the testcd option at boot time?
Thanks for the reply. Well first, I have loaded this into ram before using memtest. Maybe that's different. Secondly, I didn't burn the disk, I bought it ready made, and it does work on other machines.
Memtest doesn't "load this" into ram, memtest runs memtest86 that tests your memory, but has nothing at all to do with loading "this" into RAM.Originally Posted by nodoz
You didn't answer the all important question #4.
The fact that it works on other systems unfortunately does not mean that it is a reliable burn. In fact, that you bought the disc made "somewhere" make me think it is highly likely that it was burnt fast (the dubious people selling CD's on e-bay, for example, are not likely to burn a CD slowly and reliably, they are more likely to crank out as many an hour as they can). That and the fact that it sounds like the problems seen with an unreliable high speed burn makes me think that is what the problem is. Of course, I have no way to know for sure if that is the problem, I'm just telling you what experience has taught me. It could be something else. If you have a different optical drive that you could boot the disc with I would try that on the same computer; high speed burns tend to be real erratic on what systems drives they will work on. If it fails in the exact same way on another drive then you have more information that would make me doubt my theory (although you don't completely disprove it), if it works with a different drive then you prove my theory.
the CD I have came from Linux System labs Australia. www.lsl.com.au
This CD has worked on 4 other machines running xp. The fifth machine is mine. My instinct is telling me it is not related to the burn.

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Advantech Memory Modules 8G DDR4-2400 1GX8 1.2V HYX AQD-D4U8GN24-HE LOT OF 12
$399.99
Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A
$89.95
DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
Lot of 5 - Mixed Brands 40GB (5x8GB) DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 SO-DIMM 260-Pin Non-ECC
$150.00
Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99