Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: crashes computer

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6

    crashes computer

    I have loaded my Knoppix in the past no problems, but it is crashing my machine at the end of the loading. Well, actually it seems to be turning off the monitor while the computer is still on.

    I also noticed a line during startup that went something like this:

    read error position 727100242 cdrom /knoppix etc

    then

    error -3 uncompressing block.........etc
    :done

    Maybe this is not the problem?? I ran the disk on another machine with no problems. How can I troubleshoot this?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Did you read the downloading faq and follow all of the tips in it?

    Did you check the md5 checksum before burning?

    Did you burn at a slow speed?

    Did you try the testcd option at boot time?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6
    Thanks for the reply. Well first, I have loaded this into ram before using memtest. Maybe that's different. Secondly, I didn't burn the disk, I bought it ready made, and it does work on other machines.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by nodoz
    Thanks for the reply. Well first, I have loaded this into ram before using memtest. Maybe that's different. Secondly, I didn't burn the disk, I bought it ready made, and it does work on other machines.
    Memtest doesn't "load this" into ram, memtest runs memtest86 that tests your memory, but has nothing at all to do with loading "this" into RAM.

    You didn't answer the all important question #4.

    The fact that it works on other systems unfortunately does not mean that it is a reliable burn. In fact, that you bought the disc made "somewhere" make me think it is highly likely that it was burnt fast (the dubious people selling CD's on e-bay, for example, are not likely to burn a CD slowly and reliably, they are more likely to crank out as many an hour as they can). That and the fact that it sounds like the problems seen with an unreliable high speed burn makes me think that is what the problem is. Of course, I have no way to know for sure if that is the problem, I'm just telling you what experience has taught me. It could be something else. If you have a different optical drive that you could boot the disc with I would try that on the same computer; high speed burns tend to be real erratic on what systems drives they will work on. If it fails in the exact same way on another drive then you have more information that would make me doubt my theory (although you don't completely disprove it), if it works with a different drive then you prove my theory.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6
    the CD I have came from Linux System labs Australia. www.lsl.com.au

    This CD has worked on 4 other machines running xp. The fifth machine is mine. My instinct is telling me it is not related to the burn.

Similar Threads

  1. KDE crashes
    By aspira in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 11:06 AM
  2. HD installation crashes
    By thelordofthechip in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 02:17 PM
  3. Format crashes computer at knx2hd. How do I bypass?
    By transistorman57508 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-12-2004, 05:49 AM
  4. mkisofs crashes at 98%
    By vacode in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 01:11 AM
  5. Knoppix Crashes
    By MickKi in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 01:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung M391A1K43BB2-CTDQ 4 x 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 UDIMM RAM Memory picture

Samsung M391A1K43BB2-CTDQ 4 x 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 UDIMM RAM Memory

$140.00



Lot of 5 DDR4 Mixed Desktop RAM 28GB Total G.Skill Patriot Ballistix XPG Tested picture

Lot of 5 DDR4 Mixed Desktop RAM 28GB Total G.Skill Patriot Ballistix XPG Tested

$358.50



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A picture

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A

$89.95



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00



Lot of 5 - Mixed Brands 40GB (5x8GB) DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 SO-DIMM 260-Pin Non-ECC picture

Lot of 5 - Mixed Brands 40GB (5x8GB) DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 SO-DIMM 260-Pin Non-ECC

$150.00