Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: No Primary Hard Drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1

    No Primary Hard Drive

    Hello,

    I just started using Knoppix, have used Linux in the past but not
    for a couple of years.

    Anyways, I started using Knoppix in order to try and figure out
    what's going on with my hard drive. My notebook's hd crashed
    so I bought a new one.

    When I boot the computer to re-install windows the windows
    installation only comes up seeing approx 8GB when the hd
    is actually 80GB, and when I try format that 8GB I receive
    an error telling me the hd could not be formated. I've just
    installed the latest BIOS from my manufacturer and still does
    not work. When I go into the BIOS settings I can see the hd
    in it's 80GB entirety, but nowhere else does it register as
    80GB...even with an old windows 98 boot disk it still does not
    see 80GB.

    So I tried running Knoppix to see if it would come up with
    a listing of the drive so that I might be able to run some sort
    of utilities that might fix the problem...but Knoppix doesn't list
    anything in the 80GB range when I use the command 'df -h'
    to list the current drive information.

    Any ideas how to remedy this problem (so I can install
    windows again) using Knoppix?

    How can I find the primary hd and what utilities can I run
    to try and fix this?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    -- TG

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    37
    Since your BIOS is seeing the proper size, I'm guessing the hardware is alright. I'm not sure what you have and haven't already tried so here are some thoughts in increasing severity.

    1) The drive manufacturer often has a floppy/CD that comes with disk utilities specifically designed for their hardware, try that first.

    2) I can't tell if you used FDISK or not. Use that to display the partition table. If nothing is obvious, erase all the partitions and try to create a new 80GB or whatever set you want.

    3) Backup (suggested) and wipe out your MBR. If you don't know what I'm talking about or the specific commands, post back and I'll give you the command lines you'll need.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: No Primary Hard Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by tgjb007
    How can I find the primary hd and what utilities can I run
    to try and fix this?
    Welcome to Knoppix. Glad to have you on board.

    Some questions:
    - What version of Windows?
    - What version of Knoppix?
    - Can you boot with boot: knoppix 3, run this code, and post back the output?
    Code:
    ( set -x
    cat /proc/partitions
    fdisk -l /dev/hd?
    )
    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

Similar Threads

  1. Copy file from hard drive to usb flash drive
    By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
  2. Copying hard drive to hard drive new to linux
    By husalah5150 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 05:06 PM
  3. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  4. Can't share primary hard drive.
    By Keithj in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-19-2005, 12:46 AM
  5. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK hynix 32GB DDR4 2666MHz (2×16GB) PC4-2666V-SE1-11 HMA82GS6JJR8N-VK picture

SK hynix 32GB DDR4 2666MHz (2×16GB) PC4-2666V-SE1-11 HMA82GS6JJR8N-VK

$99.99



Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16) picture

Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA-SA2-12 Laptop RAM SODIMM (HP32D4S2S8ME-16)

$64.99



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc. picture

[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] UNITS of 8GB DDR4 Laptop RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX etc.

$299.99



Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Kit 2x8GB PC4-21300 DDR4-2666 RAM CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Kit 2x8GB PC4-21300 DDR4-2666 RAM CMK16GX4M2A2666C16

$74.00



Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz 288-Pin DIMM CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 picture

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz 288-Pin DIMM CMK16GX4M2A2666C16

$70.00



Crucial 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 SO-DIMM CL22 CT16G4SFRA32A.M16FR picture

Crucial 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 SO-DIMM CL22 CT16G4SFRA32A.M16FR

$149.00



128 gb ddr4 ram 3200 mhz (32x4)-Sold after switching my motherboard picture

128 gb ddr4 ram 3200 mhz (32x4)-Sold after switching my motherboard

$1000.00



CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz 288-Pin DESKTOP PC RAM Memory picture

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz 288-Pin DESKTOP PC RAM Memory

$250.00