Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Myconfig with Knoppix 3.9

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    31

    Myconfig with Knoppix 3.9

    I have been using Knoppix 3.4 up to now and have always saved my config to my external USB drive which is /mnt/sda1. I loaded Knoppix 3.9 for the first time today and used my usual command at the boot prompt which is <knoppix myconfig=/mnt/sda1> and 3.9 could not find it.

    Then I used <knoppix myconfig=scan> and it still could not find it. I discovered later that my USB drive is now known as <uba1>. When I substituted this the config worked. However <uba1> is not mentioned in the /mnt directory but <sda1> is. Whichever description I use makes no difference I still can't open my usb drive.

    The only thing I can think of is that the older config still refers to <uba1> as <sda1>.

    Any help will be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Myconfig with Knoppix 3.9

    Quote Originally Posted by Ewen
    The only thing I can think of is that the older config still refers to <uba1> as <sda1>.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    There was a similar issue with floppyconfig. As a shot in the dark, try booting with boot: knoppix myconfig=/mnt/sda1 -b which will put you in "emergency mode." Then type 'mkdr /mnt/sda1' [1] to create the mountpoint. Type 'exit' to continue booting normally.

    Don't guarantee that it'll work, but please post back either way.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

    [1] Edit: that should read 'mkdir /mnt/sda1'

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    31

    Re: Myconfig with Knoppix 3.9

    Thank you rwcitek... I'll try that later tonight and post back

    Regards,

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    31

    Myconfig with Knoppix 3.9

    I followed your instructions to this point:

    root@console[~]# mkdr /mnt/sda1 -b

    and Knoppix responded with this:

    bash: mkdr: command not found

    Back to square one methinks.!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Myconfig with Knoppix 3.9

    Quote Originally Posted by Ewen
    root@console[~]# mkdr /mnt/sda1 -b
    We both mistyped. Let's try again.

    Boot with
    Code:
    boot: knoppix myconfig=/mnt/sda1 -b
    Then once you enter "emergency mode", type this:
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/sda1
    exit  # to leave "emergency mode"
    Let us know how it goes.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    31

    Myconfig with Knoppix 3.9

    Perhaps I'm not getting into "emergency mode" because I keep getting this response:

    bash: mkdr: command not found

    When I type "exit" I'm back at the root # prompt and then it's a "reset" to start again.

    Regards,

    Ewen

    ____________________________

    I must have made a typo somewhere because I succeeded in getting into emergency mode, the mkdir command was carried out and the boot proceeded. It stopped with this statement:

    Filesystem not auto detected. Trying to mount with AES256.
    /dev/sda1: no such device or address

    Snookered again!

    Regards,

    Ewen.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    31

    Myconfig with Knoppix 3.9

    I ran into a brick wall every time here so I installed Knoppix on a spare drive instead. All is well now and i must say I quite like it as a debian install. Perhaps you could explain how to get it to recognise my 256meg USB memory stick though.

    Many thanks for the previous help,

    Regards,

    Ewen

Similar Threads

  1. myconfig don't work
    By scorpion2782 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2008, 03:26 PM
  2. Klik Home and myconfig
    By lilsirecho in forum Klik
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 02:21 PM
  3. Loading myconfig
    By evilkat in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 06:52 AM
  4. Save Myconfig Outside KDE
    By unamiccia in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 02:43 AM
  5. Myconfig=scan
    By DavidTempler in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 03:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99