-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: how to set up pppoe connection?

Originally Posted by
b0
What confuses me more is that in XP I connect to lan that's always on and at the same time I use pppoe too.....
Please define what you network is composed of. When I first got my DSL connection they installed some Windows PPPoE software, but I shut down the system as soon as the tech left (I didn't want him there at all but the ISP insisted on sending him out if I got an external ethernet modem, which I insisted on), went out and got a router, and connected it to the network before I would turn the network back on. I did note that, to my surprise, the system did work before I got rid of the PPPoE software, but it was not needed on the network once I installed the router, and, of course, the system was far more stable and better off without it.
On my Knoppix systems, thanks to a router which does DHCP and provides a NAT firewall, I just boot Knoppix and I'm on the Internet, no need to fool with PPPoE software at all. If your LAN is based on any of the inexpensive home (SOHO) DSL/cable router on the market today I would expect the same for you.
Similar Threads
-
By Gusse in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-31-2010, 04:10 PM
-
By cn_agxgx in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-07-2007, 04:12 AM
-
By kuddo in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-03-2006, 07:52 AM
-
By loksipan in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-05-2006, 08:24 AM
-
By funky in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-08-2004, 11:26 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$94.95

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99