Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: wired nic's, on CD, where's the net ?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    directly above the center of the earth
    Posts
    4

    wired nic's, on CD, where's the net ?

    after transferring 100gig to daddies computer from mine {XP} I unplug the cat-5 from daddys and plug it into

    a netgear FA-310 plugged into an old motherboard {no agp slot, pci & isa slots} K6-233, 256mb of pc100
    boot floppy starts the CD of "Knoppix for Kids" {good educational stuff for the 5year old}

    the boot listing finds eth0 and does dchp, normally it has skipped to the next thing with no further mention of networking, and I get no network.

    this time it said something happy happened with dchp , but still no network.

    the windows machine sees only itself, both lights are on on the hub {netgear FE-104}

    linNeighborhood has an entry for "knoppix" that I can get to do nothing whatsoever.

    in konsol netcardconfig choosing dchp = 'from device eth0 failed.
    letting it choose all those numbers and dchp fails again.

    ifconfig = just lo saying RX 10 no problems & TX 10, no problems. 500bytes RX&TX.


    sudo mii-tool -r = restarting autonegotiation


    netcardconfig = dchp failed


    sudo mii-tool = " eth0: no autonegotiation, 100baseTx-HD, link ok


    so the hardware seems to be ok


    in linNeighborhood I told it about the windows computer name and the workgroup name and a new entry appeared above 'knoppix' the computer name with the workgroup nane as the comment.

    I can get the new entry to do nothing too.

    I am reading the oreilly online linux networking but I'm just to defining tcp


    there's a network here and I can't FIND it.

    can you see where it is hiding ?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I don't see mention of which windows you are using, it does make a difference if it's 98 or XP (Microsoft changed a lot of things in XP). Either way I suspect you'll want to search this forum for some information on either Samba or Network neighborhood, this has been discussed before. I would also start with seeing if I could ping the Windows system, if you have firewalls in place that block the oings then they are certainly going to block the network connections and make things more complicated (each system should be able to ping the other by local IP address).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    directly above the center of the earth
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    I don't see mention of which windows you are using,
    XP pro sp1






    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Either way I suspect you'll want to search this forum for some information on either Samba or Network neighborhood, this has been discussed before.
    I have worked my way back to page 17 reading everything that looks faintly likely and missed anything that worked.
    all the console stuff I posted came from posts here.


    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    I would also start with seeing if I could ping the Windows system,
    that is what I thought that dchp thing was doing ???

    just now in console, I typed "ping" and got a list of options. typing 'ping -p' gets "option requires an arguement -- p"

    ping ?


    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    if you have firewalls in place that block the oings then they are certainly going to block the network connections and make things more complicated
    aye, on the XP whatever firewalling might have happened, it hooked up with the other sp1 with no mention of it.
    so far I have seen no signs that any firewall app is running in linux,
    I am thinking that if I start any program to look at firewall status the program will be monitoring the firewall it just started, like that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    (each system should be able to ping the other by local IP address).
    that is what I was hoping that "netcardconfig" was setting up with all those numbers it suggested, but that didn't affect the dchp results.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by honegod
    I have worked my way back to page 17 reading everything that looks faintly likely and missed anything that worked. all the console stuff I posted came from posts here.
    Well congratulations on reading through the forum. But there's actually a somewhat more easy way - use the search feature. Look near the top of this page for a rectangular window with the word search next to it (there are actually two somewhat different search features on the page, I think you want to start with the lower one). Type samba into the rectangle, click search next to it. You should get about 6 pages (126 links) on samba. For another try put in neighborhood, I got 11 matches here. I have not read through all of these, but I do think the information that you want is here (I've seen it on this site before).

    Quote Originally Posted by honegod
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    I would also start with seeing if I could ping the Windows system,
    that is what I thought that dchp thing was doing ???
    DHCP configures your NIC with an IP address, network mask and other similar information. It has nothing at all to do with pinging other systems (other than your card must be set up before it can ping or be pinged). Lets assume that your router is at 192.168.0.1 (it might be at 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 depending on brand, but you get the idea). You should be able to ping the router by typing in ping 192.168.0.1 and hitting return. You should be able to determine your own local address by typing ifconfig (there are many other ways to do it too). You should be able to move to a windows computer and bring up a command prompt and type in ping 192.168.x.x (where x is the address that ifconfig gave you above) and ping your Knoppix box. You can also ping the router from Windows like you did with Knoppix. Now at that windows command prompt type in ipconfig (note a p is in the name this time and not an f). This shows the local address of the Windows system. Go back to the Knoppix system and try to ping it. If you can't get a response there is most likely a firewall running on Windows that is blocking you (and will block networking requests). If both systems can ping each other (and only if both systems can ping each other) you should be ready to get networking working.

    Quote Originally Posted by honegod
    aye, on the XP whatever firewalling might have happened, it hooked up with the other sp1 with no mention of it. so far I have seen no signs that any firewall app is running in linux, I am thinking that if I start any program to look at firewall status the program will be monitoring the firewall it just started, like that.
    SP1 includes a Microsoft firewall, but it's off by default. SP2 turns it on by default. That it is off in SP1 is good, because it's an awful firewall and not worth using. Still, I highly recommend using a software firewall with XP, after you have resolved this networking issue. A very good free one was Kerio, but I just learned that they have been taken over by Mcafee (who make awful software prodicts IMHO) and the great free Kerio firwall is going away! Grab it now while you still can here.

    Quote Originally Posted by honegod
    that is what I was hoping that "netcardconfig" was setting up with all those numbers it suggested, but that didn't affect the dchp results.
    netcardconfig can either start a DHCP setup for you (which indeed will likely match what DHCP did at boot time) or you can manually set the values yourself. For example, you might want a particular IP address rather than the one dhcp wanted to assign to you. In most cases you will just let DHCP take care of the information for you, getting it's settings from your router.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    directly above the center of the earth
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Well congratulations on reading through the forum. But there's actually a somewhat more easy way - use the search feature. Look near the top of this page for a rectangular window with the word search next to it (there are actually two somewhat different search features on the page, I think you want to start with the lower one). Type samba into the rectangle, click search next to it. You should get about 6 pages (126 links) on samba. For another try put in neighborhood, I got 11 matches here. I have not read through all of these, but I do think the information that you want is here (I've seen it on this site before).
    my level of ignorance is such that searching doesn't help, I don't know the right questions to ask to narrow the results down to the answer.

    I am working through the results of the searches you provided.

    so far I have only seen the word "samba" once in this linux, in control center - internet and network - local network browsing - windows shares = "this is the configuration for the SAMBA client only, not the server."

    that's IT, samba appears NOWHERE else that I have found. it is not listed as a program when clicking the "start" button.


    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    DHCP configures your NIC with an IP address, network mask and other similar information. It has nothing at all to do with pinging other systems (other than your card must be set up before it can ping or be pinged). Lets assume that your router is at 192.168.0.1 (it might be at 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 depending on brand, but you get the idea). You should be able to ping the router by typing in ping 192.168.0.1 and hitting return. You should be able to determine your own local address by typing ifconfig (there are many other ways to do it too). You should be able to move to a windows computer and bring up a command prompt and type in ping 192.168.x.x (where x is the address that ifconfig gave you above) and ping your Knoppix box. You can also ping the router from Windows like you did with Knoppix. Now at that windows command prompt type in ipconfig (note a p is in the name this time and not an f). This shows the local address of the Windows system. Go back to the Knoppix system and try to ping it. If you can't get a response there is most likely a firewall running on Windows that is blocking you (and will block networking requests). If both systems can ping each other (and only if both systems can ping each other) you should be ready to get networking working.
    will my not having a router mess with this a lot ?

    I have a 4 port 10/100 hub, that's it. XP nic > cat5 > hub > cat5 > eth0
    this XP box has a 28.8 dialup modem that I do NOT want to share with the linux box.




    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    thanks, downloading it now



    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    netcardconfig can either start a DHCP setup for you (which indeed will likely match what DHCP did at boot time) or you can manually set the values yourself. For example, you might want a particular IP address rather than the one dhcp wanted to assign to you. In most cases you will just let DHCP take care of the information for you, getting it's settings from your router.
    I'm trying to find the XP ip address, in its functioning configuration it is set to "obtain an IP address automatically" and displays NO NUMBERS

    running ipconfig gets a dos window that flickers past WAAAY too fast to read anything, after three attempts to hit printscreen I got a chunk of the window that implied there was a ip number in a part of the window I didn't get.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    directly above the center of the earth
    Posts
    4
    I got what looks to be a good IP address for the linux box and running "ping 127.0.0.1" busts up another swiftly disappearing dos window.
    screenshot says "

    pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

    reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms ttl=128
    reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms ttl=128
    reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms ttl=128
    "

    that looks good ?

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Running a LAN with no router. There may be some issues there. I was expecting that you were getting a DHCP setup from a router. Are you getting one from the XP box? Is this XP's connerction sharing? If so what value is it giving the Knoppix system?

    There has been some discussion here of using connection sharing in the past. There were some reports of bad resuts with it though, and given what we know about Microsoft going out of their way to not work with software products that they consired competitors, and their outright hate for Linux, I tended to think that there were deliberate problems placed in the way of getting connection sharing working with an xp box and Linux. But maybe the users just did the wrong things, So I guess we'll see how you make out if you do go that route. Since you say that you do not want to share the modem with the Linux box then without connection sharing set up I am not sure what is assigning IP addresses on your LAN at all. The only time, long ago, that I networked two windows systems without a router (that was Win9 I had to go into the networking setup and assign a different IP address (and the other stuff like the subnet mask) to each of the computers. Forgetting about Linux for the moment, do you do that with each of the Windows systems on your network? If not, do you know where their IP addresses are coming from? And what they are? Something should be handing out IP addresses unless they are being manually set on each system, and you'll need to find out what that is.

    I'm not quite sure where you got the 127.0.0.1 address, but that's not a real ping (you could unplug the cable and it would still happen). 127.0.0.1 is always a loopback address with ethernet, you're just pinging yourself on a software level, not getting to the hardware at all.

    Forget about Knoppix for the moment, figure out your xp ip addresses and ping each system from the other(s). That removes the problems of Knoppix setup (which may need to be done manually now that there is no router), so it is a simpler first step.

    Don't run ipconfig straight from the GUI, you've already explained why. Open a command prompt (that's what xp calls it, it will have a icon that's a black window with C:\ in it) and type ipconfig there. It is in your xp all programs menu somewhere. Best to run ping this way too.

Similar Threads

  1. Not recgnising hardware! Two NIC's left stranded :(
    By cheti12 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2006, 03:47 AM
  2. HELP: wired yes, wireless no
    By thetroyv in forum Networking
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-16-2006, 06:53 PM
  3. DEC Tulip based NIC's & V3.8/Kernel V2.6.x
    By rec9140 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2005, 12:29 AM
  4. Which is nForce2's NIC's module ?
    By 5417 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 09:35 AM
  5. Asus A7N8X-Dlx Onboard NIC's not working
    By Mica in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 03:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Kingston UV400 120GB 2.5

Kingston UV400 120GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD Silver 6Gb/s PC Compatible

$30.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung SSD, v-nand,860 EVO, 500gb, model MZ-76E500, SATA III, Health 90-98% picture

Samsung SSD, v-nand,860 EVO, 500gb, model MZ-76E500, SATA III, Health 90-98%

$50.00



Samsung 512GB PCIe NVMe m.2 SSD Solid State Drive MZVLW512HMJP-000L7 MZ-VLB5120 picture

Samsung 512GB PCIe NVMe m.2 SSD Solid State Drive MZVLW512HMJP-000L7 MZ-VLB5120

$51.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$97.60



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00