Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: apt-get dist-upgrade wants to remove almost everything KDE

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Weevil
    Why has a good, upgradable hard disk install not been a priority for Knoppix? I think that Kanotix has filled valuable gap.
    Why would it, that's not what Knoppix is intended to be? Knoppix is a live CD. It does that great. For the people who insist on Installing it, I consider the advice of the phlisophers Mr. T and Nelson.

    Debian, the distro that Knoppix is derived from is good for HD install. Klaus could use all one version of Debian, but then he gives up either the ability to draw from some of the newer parts in the latest distributions, or the reliability of the stable distributions. Instead he picks and chooses and makes everything work together, Fine for a Live CD, not so good for the person who insists on installing Knoppix and then upgrading and breaking it.

    For those who haven't even looked at installing Debian recently, I have no pitty at all. The distro has improved a lot in the last few years and the install is much less technical than it used to be. That's not to say the install process is without any problems. It can, for example, have issues with sound cards. But then again, so does Knoppix.

    If any effort were made in uniting Knoppix with a hard disk install, I don't believe that it should be in a way that compromises the basic Live CD approach of Knoppix. Perhaps someone who could identify actual areas of hardware detection where Knoppix can be shown to do better than Debian could either look at moving that technology into the Debian installer, or could look at capturing the Knoppix configuration information to assist the Debian installer (Boot Knoppix, be sure you have all the hardware configured properly, produce a configuration file that Debian can use when it installs). This would make a lot more sense to me than people who had not even tried to install Debian wanting to see the Live CD Knoppix changed into something it isn't intended to be.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user Weevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Why would it, that's not what Knoppix is intended to be?
    For the reasons I mentioned, because a good, easy installation is a good thing for a distro to have, and Knoppix has 90% of it. It seems like a natural extension, and apparently did to Joerg Schirottke as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    For those who haven't even looked at installing Debian recently, I have no pitty at all
    Who asked for pity? I asked for information. You could have as easily said, "You should check out the current Debian installation. It has really improved." Maybe next time I'll look at it, but yes, in the meantime, please keep your "pitty" to yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    If any effort were made in uniting Knoppix with a hard disk install, I don't believe that it should be in a way that compromises the basic Live CD approach of Knoppix. Perhaps someone who could identify actual areas of hardware detection where Knoppix can be shown to do better than Debian could either look at moving that technology into the Debian installer, or could look at capturing the Knoppix configuration information to assist the Debian installer (Boot Knoppix, be sure you have all the hardware configured properly, produce a configuration file that Debian can use when it installs). This would make a lot more sense to me than people who had not even tried to install Debian wanting to see the Live CD Knoppix changed into something it isn't intended to be.
    I agree. And I suppose maybe that's my real question - why there is not a solid installation aimed at hard disk installation that includes all the great Knoppix stuff. I use the live CD once in a while to help me repair broken machines, but a fast, simple, complete hard disk install with good hardware detection, etc., is valuable to me as well.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    4

    Hope you are still here!A little bit of your experience, pls

    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    You really shouldn't try dist-upgrade on Knoppix. If you proceed, you will almost certainly break stuff big style. See the top of your /etc/apt/sources.list for a safer (no guarantees) way to proceed.
    ....
    # Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
    # CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.
    Could anybody help? I am not sure where to look for this thing...
    I do upgrade KNOPPIX packages at my persistent home and now find a problem:
    Some of these packages come upgraded inside the Knoppix new DVD. But I can't see them since I have the old ones installed.

    Through "fingers99" answers, I guess that there should be a way of telling apt-get to consider upgrading from the DVD (apt-cdrom). Or better, telling me what local packages in my persisten home should be upgraded and allow me to erase them in order to be able to use the DVD ones...

    Am I right? Have anyone solved this problem?
    Could Synaptic help to do this?
    This should be the main problem of using a Live DVD:
    Difficulties with dealing with the manually upgraded applications when using a new Knoppix version
    Besides this, it is far better than any installed LINUX distribution.

    I feel myself so close to the solution, that I know that sooner or later I am going to find the answer.
    But if somebody has solved this before, I would be thankful to listen to it and learn something.

    Thank you in advance
    Alberto

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. No 3D after dist-upgrade to X.org 7.0
    By tr in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-20-2006, 09:21 PM
  2. apt-get dist-upgrade
    By charon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 01:25 PM
  3. apt-get dist-upgrade
    By naoliv in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-08-2004, 02:16 PM
  4. apt-get dist-upgrade?
    By smittybomb in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-31-2003, 09:39 PM
  5. problem using apt-get with upgrade/dist-upgrade
    By vesselinpeev in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2003, 09:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested) picture

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)

$39.00



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99