-
mounting md device
Hello,
Recently, I installed Windows on top of my FC4 installation and I think I screwed up. I booted into Knoppix and wanted to reinstall grub by issuing the grub-install command but it returned with an error saying that it could not find /boot. The reason I think that I screwed up is because when I was installing Windows, I'm pretty sure that it removed my /boot partition. Whether that was something I did by accident or that Windows required, not sure. However, this leaves me with two options to fix my machine so I could boot back into Linux.
1. How do I recreate the /boot partition and install grub?
2. I will have to backup my old data and reinstall linux.
The problem with option 2 is that I was using md raid0 setup and knoppix is trying to mount each drive seperatly. e.g. /dev/hda1 /dev/hda2... etc. Below is the copy of my backed up fstab file used in my original system:
Code:
/dev/md0 / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/md1 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
/dev/hda4 /mnt/volume1 ext2 defaults 0 0
/dev/hdd3 /mnt/volume2 ext2 defaults 0 0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/volume3 auto defaults,users 0 0
The /dev/md0 partition is composed of /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdd1, is there a way that I could verify this? The problem I am having is that I am pretty clueless about how I can access the / mount point. I tried to do this:
Code:
mdadm -A /dev/md0 /dev/hda1 /dev/hdd1
then
Code:
mount -t ext3 /dev/md0 /mnt/system
The mount complained about a bad system type. What am I missing? Let me know if I can provide any additional information. I have a backup of my /etc/ directory and I can boot with knoppix to gather anything else.
Thanks,
Matt
Similar Threads
-
By DFlat in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-06-2006, 02:34 AM
-
By testabcd in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-24-2006, 09:52 AM
-
By jam3z in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-27-2004, 01:52 PM
-
By YuXeL in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-08-2003, 01:48 AM
-
By Sadara in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 03-16-2003, 07:12 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

Glyph StudioRAID 28TB External RAID Hard Drive Thunderbolt 2 USB 3.0 7200RPM
$300.00

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

Intel® Integrated RAID Mezzanine Module RMS3HC080 SAS/SATA H24093-204
$24.97

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49