Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: how to delete files on redhat

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3

    how to delete files on redhat

    Hi,

    I cannot boot RedHat 9 (which is the only OS installed on my harddisc). I inserted a Knoppix CD and mounted that hard drive. The command df tells me that the disc is 100% used (no free space at all)! I guess this is the reason that RedHat cannot boot. using the menue that comes up after rightclick on the hard drive icon, I gave permission for writing onto that drive. However, I cannot DELETE any data that are on that drive, because Knoppix prompts that I have no permission for that. I cannot swich to any of the users or the root of the RedHat system (i.e. those users that own the files that I want to delete). Of course Knoppix doesn't know those users.
    What can I do? HOW CAN I DELETE DATA ON LINUX USING KNOPPIX?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    Right click on hd icon, change read/write permission.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3
    As I said, this is what I already did! I can write to the disc, but I cannot delete anything!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: how to delete files on redhat

    Quote Originally Posted by sepi
    What can I do? HOW CAN I DELETE DATA ON LINUX USING KNOPPIX?
    First, don't panic. There's really no need to shout. Second, what version of Knoppix are you using? Third, how familiar are you with Linux? That is, are you comfortable working at the command line?

    If you are comfortable at the CLI, then I would boot with boot: knoppix 3. Then type the following:
    Code:
    mount /mnt/hda1
    rm /mnt/hda1/$path/$filename
    reboot
    Let us know if that works for you.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for trying to help.

    I already solved the problem in a different way: I booted in the single-user mode (as described on RedHat's webpage) and deleted a few bigger files. After that, RedHat could boot again as usual.

    I'm working at the command line quite a bit and using shell scripts (for analyzing research data). But I'm not very experienced.

    Probably the reason why the 'rm' command didn't work ('permission denied') was that the big data were saved in home/username. If they were in /usr/local, I would have been able to remove them.

    Anyways, thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Can't delete files
    By haskabab in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2009, 11:29 PM
  2. Cannot delete files with Knoppix!
    By Tetsuro in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 08:07 PM
  3. What files can I safely delete from My HD
    By Mustang64 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 03:06 AM
  4. How do you delete files in knoppix
    By Accumet8000 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2004, 01:41 AM
  5. How to delete files
    By microsoft_sucks in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-04-2003, 05:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00