Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix 4.01 DVD - No Sound

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix 4.01 DVD - No Sound

    Hey all, I just joined the fourms, and I'm new to Knoppix, so...

    Here's my situation:

    I downloaded the latest DVD (4.01), and booted with no obvious problems. All my hardware was detected, and everything seems to work, EXCEPT, as the title suggests, I hear no sound.

    Letting the normal boot sequence run, my soundcard (SoundBlaster Live! 5.1) detects using the emu10k1... looks just fine.
    Booting with the cheatcode ALSA or ALSACONF fails to detect my soundcard at all.
    Running the Soundcard config utility gives me:

    You don't seem to be running a kernel with modual sound enabled. (soundcore.o was not found in the modual search path). To use sndconfig, you must be running a kernel with modular sound, such as the kernel shipping with Debian GNU/Linux or a 2.2 kernel, and the sound must be compiled as modules.

    I've also tried plugging my speakers into my Line In, Line Out, and regular Speaker jacks.

    None of these have produced any sound whatsoever.

    Now here's my thoughts:

    I have Boston Acoustics Digital BA735 speakers.

    They work just fine in Windows, however the output must be changed to Digital Output, or there is no sound.

    I cannot find any similar setting under Knoppix.

    If there is such a setting, can someone tell me where to find it.
    If there is another method to get sound working, let me know!

    Thanks,
    Indigo

    Update:

    I dug up an older set of BA speakers that are analog, and everything works just fine.
    This may be of help to others having this same sort of problem.

    Pax,
    Indigo

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    77

    Boston Digital

    Got it from admart35 another Knoppix user. Use the CLI and type su. type alsamixer and go to analog/digital output jack it should read above that it is off. press the letter m to turn it on. Now start Xine.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Knoppix 4.01 DVD - No Sound

    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoRage
    I downloaded the latest DVD (4.01),
    I'm not sure about your sound problem, but the latest Knoppix is 4.0.2 and it fixes some problems with 4.0.1 (although I don't think any were sound related).

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    12

    Re: Boston Digital

    Quote Originally Posted by WaKa
    Got it from admart35 another Knoppix user. Use the CLI and type su. type alsamixer and go to analog/digital output jack it should read above that it is off. press the letter m to turn it on. Now start Xine.
    I seem to have a similar problem and will tell you if this works for me

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    12

    Re: Boston Digital

    Quote Originally Posted by I wrote
    I seem to have a similar problem and will tell you if this works for me
    Ooops no luck, it tells me it cannot find alsamixer. Any other options Where could my alsamixer have gone

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Try running alsaconf as root.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Try running alsaconf as root.
    I am now playing Frozen Bubble in Full Sound, thanks Markus.

Similar Threads

  1. ASUS integrated sound chip recognized but no sound
    By saxguy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 06:15 PM
  2. Soundblaster Audigy and Knoppix 3.6 sound then no sound!
    By spitfire in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 02:56 AM
  3. SOund card fun:Sound Blaster Audigy OEM also Radeon 9600Pro
    By Battousai in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
  4. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 04:45 PM
  5. SOund BLAster 5.1 on Knoppix 3.3 no sound
    By ICE_STORM in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2003, 11:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM picture

1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM

$320.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Lot of 24 InnoDisk 8GB DDR4 2400 ECC RDIMM Server RAM 192GB M4RS-8GSQEC0J-EB260 picture

Lot of 24 InnoDisk 8GB DDR4 2400 ECC RDIMM Server RAM 192GB M4RS-8GSQEC0J-EB260

$720.00



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



4 Gb PC3L-12800R-11-13-A1 Memory Module picture

4 Gb PC3L-12800R-11-13-A1 Memory Module

$79.50