-
Knoppix 4.01 DVD - No Sound
Hey all, I just joined the fourms, and I'm new to Knoppix, so...
Here's my situation:
I downloaded the latest DVD (4.01), and booted with no obvious problems. All my hardware was detected, and everything seems to work, EXCEPT, as the title suggests, I hear no sound.
Letting the normal boot sequence run, my soundcard (SoundBlaster Live! 5.1) detects using the emu10k1... looks just fine.
Booting with the cheatcode ALSA or ALSACONF fails to detect my soundcard at all.
Running the Soundcard config utility gives me:
You don't seem to be running a kernel with modual sound enabled. (soundcore.o was not found in the modual search path). To use sndconfig, you must be running a kernel with modular sound, such as the kernel shipping with Debian GNU/Linux or a 2.2 kernel, and the sound must be compiled as modules.
I've also tried plugging my speakers into my Line In, Line Out, and regular Speaker jacks.
None of these have produced any sound whatsoever.
Now here's my thoughts:
I have Boston Acoustics Digital BA735 speakers.
They work just fine in Windows, however the output must be changed to Digital Output, or there is no sound.
I cannot find any similar setting under Knoppix.
If there is such a setting, can someone tell me where to find it.
If there is another method to get sound working, let me know!
Thanks,
Indigo
Update:
I dug up an older set of BA speakers that are analog, and everything works just fine.
This may be of help to others having this same sort of problem.
Pax,
Indigo
-
Boston Digital
Got it from admart35 another Knoppix user. Use the CLI and type su. type alsamixer and go to analog/digital output jack it should read above that it is off. press the letter m to turn it on. Now start Xine.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Knoppix 4.01 DVD - No Sound

Originally Posted by
IndigoRage
I downloaded the latest DVD (4.01),
I'm not sure about your sound problem, but the latest Knoppix is 4.0.2 and it fixes some problems with 4.0.1 (although I don't think any were sound related).
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Boston Digital

Originally Posted by
WaKa
Got it from admart35 another Knoppix user. Use the CLI and type su. type alsamixer and go to analog/digital output jack it should read above that it is off. press the letter m to turn it on. Now start Xine.
I seem to have a similar problem and will tell you if this works for me
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Boston Digital

Originally Posted by
I wrote
I seem to have a similar problem and will tell you if this works for me

Ooops no luck, it tells me it cannot find alsamixer. Any other options
Where could my alsamixer have gone
-
Try running alsaconf as root.
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Markus
Try running alsaconf as root.
I am now playing Frozen Bubble in Full Sound, thanks Markus.
Similar Threads
-
By saxguy in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-30-2005, 06:15 PM
-
By spitfire in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-30-2004, 02:56 AM
-
By Battousai in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
-
By Cuddles in forum General Support
Replies: 40
Last Post: 03-01-2004, 04:45 PM
-
By ICE_STORM in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-04-2003, 11:54 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI
$289.99

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99