Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Knoppix won't boot on my Micron PC

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    9
    Actually, I just tried using the boot code you provided ... knoppix hangs right after the "Autoconfiguring devices" comes up. However, I have noticed several times that this has happened various times to me tonight when I tried to recreate what I did in expert mode, before it finally worked. Any ideas what would be causing this freeze?

    An idea I had for why this was happening is: I have my PC connected to a router with 2 other PC's ... the freeze would always happen if one of the PC's wasn't booted. I tried booting the third PC and then Knoppix booted properly (using my expert mode of course) ... does this sound right to you?

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    micron

    Quote Originally Posted by Synthpopalooza
    Actually, I just tried using the boot code you provided ... knoppix hangs right after the "Autoconfiguring devices" comes up. However, I have noticed several times that this has happened various times to me tonight when I tried to recreate what I did in expert mode, before it finally worked. Any ideas what would be causing this freeze? ... does this sound right to you?
    Sometimes working, sometimes not working. No, that doesn't sound right. This is beginning to sound like a bad CD burn. You may want to test the CD:

    boot: failsafe testcd 0

    Also, it may be worthwhile burning another CD at a slow sped, < 8x.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    I have 1 single PC, with ADSL conection, sometimes DHCP takes very long time before going on.
    the freeze would always happen if one of the PC's wasn't booted
    if this happens again and again it can be a reason.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by tdjokic
    I have 1 single PC, with ADSL conection, sometimes DHCP takes very long time before going on.
    Yes, but not getting an IP address should not cause Knoppix to freeze up. In other words, even if the ethernet cable is disconnected, Knoppix should boot just fine.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    9
    I have 1 single PC, with ADSL conection, sometimes DHCP takes very long time before going on.
    if this happens again and again it can be a reason.
    About how long does it take before the boot finishes, in your experience? Maybe I just need to let it finish?

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthpopalooza
    About how long does it take before the boot finishes, in your experience? Maybe I just need to let it finish?
    Here are my timings booting with boot: knoppix debug -b 1
    stage 1: 30 seconds
    stage 2: 5 more seconds
    stage 3: 5 more seconds
    "emergency mode": 10 more seconds
    runlevel 1: 80 more seconds

    So total boot time: 2 minutes 10 seconds. This does not count booting into runlevel 5 (graphics mode with KDE) . Also, this is using Knoppix 3.8.2 in a Virtual PC environment emulating a 630 MHz processor and 256 MB RAM.

    What timings do you get?

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Cannot boot on a Micron Transport T2200
    By Smitty_ in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 03:53 PM
  2. cannot install linux on an old micron PC,200mz,32mb ram
    By duah55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2004, 08:26 PM
  3. Micron TransPort XT
    By UselessPython in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2003, 06:26 AM
  4. Micron TransPort XT
    By UselessPython in forum Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-04-2003, 05:07 PM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Commodore USA 64x Mini-ITX Barebones w/ Slot Load Blu-ray, Memory Card Reader ++ picture

Commodore USA 64x Mini-ITX Barebones w/ Slot Load Blu-ray, Memory Card Reader ++

$449.99



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Amiga Commodore A500  - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage picture

Amiga Commodore A500 - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage

$200.00



Commodore 1084S-D 14

Commodore 1084S-D 14" CRT Monitor For Amiga / C128/64, 1084 Docs, Works

$355.00



Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords picture

Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords

$149.99



Amiga 1000 Computer W/ Daphne Chip, Commodore A1000 (As-Is) picture

Amiga 1000 Computer W/ Daphne Chip, Commodore A1000 (As-Is)

$239.75



Vintage 1983 Commodore 1702 Color Video CRT Monitor. Tested. picture

Vintage 1983 Commodore 1702 Color Video CRT Monitor. Tested.

$350.00



Commodore 64 Drive Alignment & Utility Diskette picture

Commodore 64 Drive Alignment & Utility Diskette

$9.99