Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix / linux permissions help

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16

    Knoppix / linux permissions help

    I have experimented with a few live distros, and though I love the elegant look of "elive", beatrix with its combo of new software and very stripped package is great, Knoppix is my favorite. My new-to-linux question is:

    I have a RedHat 9 partition on a secondary drive - that is - I usually boot to drive c (ntfs - xp pro), I use drive "g" for storage (also ntfs - xp pro, but NOT bootable) and have a RedHat 9 partition (well, partition and swap file) on the "g" drive.

    This drive (either the linux partition(s) or the ntfs partition) does not show up in knoppix and I don't want to add lines to the fstab if I don't know the name. Moreover, with all live! distros, I am not sure how to read access my main (c) ntfs drive. I usually get the message "i don't know how to read this drive" error.

    In other words. Do I have to set a redhat drive's permissions to chmod 777 (rwx) BEFORE I try to access this in Knoppix or is there some way as super user, I can (1) find the linux partition and (2) access the files on it.

    I am lost on this one. The tutorials all seem to go from a-z and I am still looking for b.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16

    Permissions follow up

    After fiddling around with my fstab file, I am able to automount all of my hard drives. However, my RedHat ext3 drive still contains "locked files" and directories that I cannot seem to access, even from the super terminal or with any root access.

    Is there any way around this? If I right click on the mounted drive icon on the desktop, my permissions read: -rwxrwxrwx but this doesn't seem to be sufficient.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix chmod permissions problems
    By sad1sm0 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
  2. Konsole hang on remastered Knoppix /dev/pty permissions prob
    By heinous in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2005, 10:12 AM
  3. knoppix 4.0 and RedHat 9 permissions
    By pgluth1 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 04:09 PM
  4. KDE permissions and user permissions!!!
    By newiaqua in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 07:49 PM
  5. Changing File Permissions In Knoppix
    By Jackaboo in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 04:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Lenovo IdeaPad S340-15IWL Laptop 15.6

Lenovo IdeaPad S340-15IWL Laptop 15.6" Intel Core i3-8145U 8GB RAM 256GB SSD

$126.65



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



acer swift air 14 picture

acer swift air 14

$600.00



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98