Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix Config

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix Config

    I have a 20gig hard drive that uses 14 gig for Windows and the remaining for Linux. The linux portion has 2 partitions hda5 and hda6. They are formatted as ext3 (I believe, anyway for Linux). I have loaded and unloaded several different flavors of Linux on these partitions and, though I am not a linux guru, have come to various conclusions regading these different flavors. Then I bought a cd of Knoppix 3.3 and was surprised at how simple the installation was. Everything worked correctly, even the dialup modem went off at the first try. I set my bios to boot from cd first and then second, the hard drive. This works just fine. If I want Linux I insert the Knoppix disk and it boots, and if I want windows I do not put the Knoppix cd in and it boots from the hard drive and thence to Windows. After a session of Knoppix I would save the configuration, and next time at the boot prompt I would type ' myconfig=/mnt/hda6', and it would come up with all the info from the previous session. So everything was great.
    Then I decided to give Ubuntu a go (I bought the cd) it did not go for me. Then I tried Peanut ( also bought the cd) aand it was the pits. Next I bought Knoppix 3.9 and that, after configuring the modem and getting it working, it would dial up ok but after disconnecting from the ISP and the trying to dial up again it could not find the modem and would freeze the whole thing up.
    So as Knoppix 3.3 had been so good I went back to that. But now I wanted a fresh start so at the boot prompt I just hit 'enter'
    Off it went but when it got to the desktop, it had the one that I had changed it to and the whole thing locked up. I reformatted the Liux partitions and tried all sorts of stuff but I cannot get the thing to start with the original desktop. It is getting information from somewhere that I do not want it to have. And why? I do not ask it to look for old configs.
    Keninkaty

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    I'll take a guess at it,

    My guess is that when you boot up the 3.3 cd it finds an old config on your windows partition (whether it should or not) .

    Take a look at your windows partition and delete anything resembling a knoppix config file , or rename it temporarily and see what happens.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix Config

    Rusty, That is what I thought. I shall have to look harder to see if I can find it.
    keninkaty

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Weird, but maybe i missed something.

    Your trying to boot a knoppix 3.3 cd and you get a previously saved desktop, right? Not a reinstall to hd? No usb stick, floppy plugged in? No rewritable cd in the other cd drive?

    The brute force method: open up the box, pull the ide cables off of all the drives except the cd holding knoppix and boot. If that desktop still shows up you somehow remastered the 3.3 - congratulations but it beats me!

    Perhaps more elegant: when the thing finishes booting, open a root shell and type: dmesg| grep config ( i am guessing you've done that ). The output should tell that it's found the config somewhere whilst booting.

    Finally, the version of xp on one of my boxes has two windows partitions, the first holding backup info (its a hp specific thing i guess, don't know) and the second xp itself. When i have saved knoppix config, it ends up on the first partition, which is fat32. I can't remeber whether i put it there by choice or by default.

    Hope this helps

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix Config

    Thankyou for your assistance. I checked the windows partition and deleted some questionable files, then rebooted the knoppix cd and lo and behold the original desktop came up!! Then I shutdown and rebooted again and we are back to square one, except it gets half way on the original desktop and locks up. Something is terribly wrong!! I am going to try some drastic action shortly.
    kenin katy

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix FTP server config
    By jdavis in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2007, 04:22 AM
  2. Wireless config not being loaded from saved config.
    By Legless_Marine in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 04:13 AM
  3. WLAN Config, Netcard-Config etc.
    By killozap in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2005, 08:41 AM
  4. ISDN-CONFIG in Knoppix 3.6
    By zip.it in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 07:17 AM
  5. Please Post a Simple CONFIG file for Kernel Config
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 05:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162) picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)

$36.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Lenovo 2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Metal Drive Flash Memory Stick Data Storage. picture

Lenovo 2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Metal Drive Flash Memory Stick Data Storage.

$3.99



M386A8K40BM2-CTD SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 SERVER MEMORY TESTED picture

M386A8K40BM2-CTD SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 SERVER MEMORY TESTED

$289.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



Hynix 16GB PC4-2933Y 288pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Reg Server Memory HMA82GR7JJR8N-WM picture

Hynix 16GB PC4-2933Y 288pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Reg Server Memory HMA82GR7JJR8N-WM

$79.95



Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC picture

Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC

$370.00