Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Very basic questions about KLIK

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    23

    Very basic questions about KLIK

    I'm fairly new to Linux and don't understand a lot of what I read. But I have some questions about KLIK if I may ask them.

    Background: I've been using xandros 3.0.1 OC (SP2). However I like to experiment with new softwares (software junkie); many times I try and install something via Xandros Networks (the install manager) or synaptic, only to get an error message relating to "Broken Packages". Almost always, this simply means that the desired package wants a dependency which is newer than the xandros-approved version. I can usually find the later version, but risk breaking Xandros if I install it. I've broken xandros so many times now that I installed a spare. So I'm looking for an alternative (Kanotix with KLIK?).

    So, my questions:

    I understand that KLIK installs the entire package including dependencies as one file.

    1) Does that mean if I try installing a package which wants a dependency later than what I have KLIK will simply install the later version independently of what I already have? So, no more broken packages? Please tell me that's right!!!! :^>

    2) Does that mean, if several packages want the same dependency, KLIK will install that dependency several times? Wouldn't that crowd the HD? :^<

    In another thread I asked if there is any progress in KLIK for xandros. I sure hope it happens!!

    In faith, Dave
    [email protected]
    Viva Texas

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    164
    Quick answers: A klik cmg program file will include the program and any dependencies which are not assumed to be part of your base system. This means that dependency problems are eliminated but that you can have many copies of the same libraries.

    As for Xandros ... have you looked at the docs on klik and sent the requested information to probono? As a debian based distribution Xandros probably works generally as is, if not please post your error messages or better still visit #klik where hopefully someone will be able to debug the problem with you.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    23
    Thanks for the info. Probono has told me that there now is a package for xandros. However, I'm having trouble accessing the KLIK website. He wants to know how it works and I'm anxious to try it.

    In faith, Dave
    [email protected]
    Viva Texas

Similar Threads

  1. Basic XBox questions - please help
    By Kerr Avon in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 10:02 AM
  2. Basic Questions From A Linux NewBee...
    By gradofan in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-30-2009, 04:23 PM
  3. Some basic questions
    By kbieri in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-03-2008, 08:39 AM
  4. Klik is kewl, but a few questions...
    By JockVSJock in forum Klik
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 02:16 PM
  5. New to Knoppix - couple of basic questions
    By tonedef667 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 01:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra picture

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra

$120.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$325.99



VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8 picture

VINTAGE AOPEN MODEL SPI-200 200W AT POWER SUPPLY WITH SWITCH DS-PS-8

$34.95



Vintage Emagic Logic 5 / Logic Audio 4.0 Studio Software Box Manuals Serial picture

Vintage Emagic Logic 5 / Logic Audio 4.0 Studio Software Box Manuals Serial

$89.99



VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC picture

VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC

$24.95



Micro-Frame MPM for Windows Version 2.0 CD-ROM Vintage Windows 95 NT Software picture

Micro-Frame MPM for Windows Version 2.0 CD-ROM Vintage Windows 95 NT Software

$99.95



Apple Mac Microphone Vintage 1990 Model 590-0617-A AUX Original Box Gray Japan picture

Apple Mac Microphone Vintage 1990 Model 590-0617-A AUX Original Box Gray Japan

$14.95



Vintage HP DVD Writer dvd210i Internal IDE Drive Q2116A BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED picture

Vintage HP DVD Writer dvd210i Internal IDE Drive Q2116A BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED

$58.85