Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Networking Question / DNS

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    9

    Networking Question / DNS

    Well this is my first time looking into and working with Knoppix... I was hoping that someone could answer me this question...

    In order to connect to the external internet from my dorms (at college, Rutgers university if it helps) - I need to configure my IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router/Gateway Address, Primary DNS Server, and Secondary DNS Server. This all needs to be configured manually according to Rutgers helpdesk... Now I was wondering, since Rutgers doesn't seem to provide any Linux-related help, that maybe you all could point me in the right direction.

    I successfully installed the drivers for my Intel Pro/100 VE Network card, and it DOES recieve network traffic... But it won't allow connections to the external network without the settings for the above things...

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    If you can't use DHCP and are required to enter in the information manually just do the following.
    1. write down the information for your.
    gateway
    dns servers
    subnet mask
    2. Open up a terminal and type: 'netcardconfig'
    3. Fill in the appropriate info in the screens that pop up.

    This should work. Since it sounds like you are new to Knoppix, I suggest looking in the Docs section of this site for other bits of information that will prove quite helpful for you.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    9
    Tried configuring with netcardconfig in terminal (yes I am new to Knoppix) but it doesnt ask for dns info though I will gladly give it another shot... and DHCP doesn't work sadly =(

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Edit the file /etc/resolv.conf as root in a console window and put the line nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where xxx = your settings for your DNS then still as root /etc/init.d/networking restart to re-start the network. The file that contains your card settings is in /etc/network/interfaces you might to check to make sure the setttings are correct.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    9
    I got it =)

    Netcardconfig did it - It wasnt working because I have 3 networking cards... and I misconfigured it... Used Windows to get the MAC Addy of the main card, and then ifconfig to get the corresponding ethx card.

    Thanks guys!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by MSantangelo
    I got it =)

    Netcardconfig did it - It wasnt working because I have 3 networking cards... and I misconfigured it... Used Windows to get the MAC Addy of the main card, and then ifconfig to get the corresponding ethx card.

    Thanks guys!
    Good thinking. I forget sometimes that many cable isps (and apparently some universities) lock onto your mac adress and refuse comunication from a card with any other address.

    If you ever use Knoppix for wireless on your university, just use 'wlcardconfig' - similar to netcardconfig but for wireless cards.

    Take care,

    Adam

Similar Threads

  1. Debian Networking Question
    By Harry Kuhman in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 06:53 PM
  2. NooB question; cross platform networking
    By Kram in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-19-2004, 09:38 AM
  3. Networking
    By anthonywandeto in forum Networking
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 03:41 PM
  4. An (I hope) basic networking question- linux newb
    By tl1moss in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-24-2003, 05:19 AM
  5. Grub settings, quick question... really my last question :p
    By mark1221 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 10:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$96.60



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Cisco UCS B200 M4 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5GHz = 24C/48T. CPU's Included, No RAM/HD picture

Cisco UCS B200 M4 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5GHz = 24C/48T. CPU's Included, No RAM/HD

$36.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server – Dual Intel Xeon E5-2620 – 192GB RAM – 2x 128G picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server – Dual Intel Xeon E5-2620 – 192GB RAM – 2x 128G

$388.70



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99



Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers* picture

Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers*

$159.99