Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Boot from floppy

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Allen, TX, USA
    Posts
    17

    Boot from floppy

    I'm running Knoppix from CD. I'm running Win2KPro on my main HD partitioned with NTFS. I have a second HD as FAT32. Both disks show on my desktop. The NTFS disk is obviously read-only. However, I can't write to the FAT-32 disk either. Why not? What do I need to do?

    Also, I was wanting to create a boot floppy. I tried and received the following.
    Code:
    knoppix@ttyp0[KNOPPIX]$ rawrite2 -f boot-en.img -d A
    bash: rawrite2: command not found
    knoppix@ttyp0[KNOPPIX]$
    Any ideas on this one?

    And lastly, but related, where is it that I can go to save my configuration to the floppy so that at next boot I don't have to type in my configuration again?

    Thanks in advance,
    Andrew
    [/code]

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Right click on the icon for the fat32 drive and un-check the read-only.

    Try copying the rawrite program and the img to your /ramdisk/home/knoppix and run it from there.

    Look off the knoppix menu for for the floppy configuration save option.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Allen, TX, USA
    Posts
    17
    Thanks for the help. Changing the read-write settings worked fine. Copying the configuration to floppy went fine. But making a boot disk didn't. I did as you suggested (see the directory), but it still didn't work. Ideas?
    Code:
    knoppix@ttyp3[knoppix]$ dir
    Desktop  boot.img  dcc  rawrite2.exe  tmp
    knoppix@ttyp3[knoppix]$ rawrite2 -f boot.img -d A
    bash: rawrite2: command not found
    knoppix@ttyp3[knoppix]$

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Sorry wasn't thinking for a second rawrite is a dos program. Do dd if=boot-en.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k to create the boot floppy from linux.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Allen, TX, USA
    Posts
    17
    Oh! Well knowing that it is a dos program, I was able to create the floppy immediately. Thank you.

    But, of course, that only brings up more questions.
    [*] My image of Knoppix doesn't have a boot-en.img. It only has boot.img, which is German. Where can I get the English image? Also, the image seems to take up most all of the disk. I was hoping to also save my configuration settings there. Maybe even some printer drivers. Will there be room or what do you suggest?
    [*] Outside of learning some Linux on my own, my immediate purpose is to use Knoppix as sort of an emergency disk. At work, our drives are all NTFS and applications are served over the network by Citrix. We have problems with the Citrix server on occasion. I was thinking that I would use a boot floppy and the Knoppix CD. Open Office will let me open the MS Office documents on the NTFS partition. Then changes could be saved temprarily to another floppy if needed. Or do you have a better suggestion?

    Thanks once again,
    Andrew

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    I just checked and the boot.img on my copy (2003-04-15) is in english, so I'm not sure which version you have but you may have downloaded the german ISO.

    You can save your settings to a floppy, HD (no NTFS partitions though), USB drive or stick and I believe a couple of other ways. There are options for this off the knoppix menu in KDE.

    You could save to the floppy for your documents but I would suggest getting either a memory stick or usb drive. With the best option being a stick it gets recognized as a HD and you could use the persistant home to save any changes you make to KDE, network settings, e-mail settings, etc... plus room left over for your files and it all fits in your shirt pocket nothing better than that.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Allen, TX, USA
    Posts
    17
    Thanks for the feedback. Using a stick was the first thing I thought of too, but unless I can get the usb problem worked out (in http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2106 thread) then I'm stuck with floppies. Even if I get the usb problem worked out for my home pc, it may not apply to the various pc's at my work - which is what I'm really interested in right now.

    But if I get the usb to work, what size stick do you recommend for just having a persistent home directory, configurations, and swap a few doc and xls files? Would 32mb be enough? 16? 64?

    I'm running v3.2, 2003-04-18 Beta. I'm pretty sure I got the English iso. The boot floppy has a file in it called, "GERMAN.KBD", so that's why I thought I had a German boot. But so far everything works in English as I would expect.

Similar Threads

  1. help making boot floppy to boot cd rom.
    By niceguy167 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 05:06 AM
  2. Knoppix wont boot with boot floppy
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
  3. boot freezes, floppy boot o.k.?
    By Prieni in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 02:52 PM
  4. Boot knoppix withough Floppy and CD boot
    By Dan_Netwalker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 01:40 AM
  5. Floppy Boot
    By Boffy31 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2003, 05:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD picture

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD

$635.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99