Ok, I'll take a stab at this:


normally to mount a hard drive partition:

mount /dev/hda# /mnt/hda#

that's the very simplistic version. basically, if you have an ide it tends to be an "HDA" whereas SATA tends to be "HDE" and SCSI tends to be "SDA", USB also tends to be "SDA".

If your NTFS partition is the first partition on your SATA drive, then most likely mount /dev/hde1 /mnt/hde1. If you are in fact on the second SATA connection, then it tends to be "HDG" instead of "HDE".

When the system boots, watch and see what drives it thinks it has found. It will tell you right away that it found .....hda (Seagate 3770G)

Then you can go look by opening a root window and typing cfdisk hde, it will show you the partitions and which ones are what format. Take the number for the ntfs partion and mount that particular one.

As for read only VS read write....You cannot write to an NTFS partition. The software to do so is being written now. But be very careful! Microsoft does not play well with others and even after the software is written to write to an NTFS partition, you can still destroy your drive in doing so. I made a seperate msdos partions and formatted it vfat. Then I mount it rw in knoppix and it shows up as a drive in XP. I can share my data back and forth with that 65GB partition.....

If you are running the Knoppix cd/dvd then when you save something it saves it to the /home/knoppix folder in the ramdisk. I believe you will need to either save it to floppy, or save it to a partition to see it again....I use my usb drive all the time....mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1......works great...you can also save your preferences by going to knoppix>configure>save Knoppix configuration......

Good luck...

jj