Quote Originally Posted by MaldiGola
Thank you for all your help!
That output looks fantastic. You should now be able to mount your drives.

Quote Originally Posted by MaldiGola
Now... why did I need to go thru all this?
I don't know the really technical details. But I can give you some handwaving details.

In Linux (like Unix) everything is a file: a file, a directory, the screen, the keyboard, etc. Your disks and partitions are also files. In your case the "files" for your drives and partitions were missing. Why were they missing? Probably to save on space to get other items on the CD. So, what you did was create files with mknod. mknod links a device to a file. For example, 'mknod -m 0660 /dev/hdi b 56 0' links the device at Major number 56 with Minor number 0 to the file /dev/hdi. It also defines the device as a block device with the option 'b' and assigns it permissions with 0660. Why Major 56 and Minor 0? I have no idea. It's probably defined somewhere, I just don't know where. Why /dev/hdi? It turns out that that is an arbitrary name. You could name it /dev/my_favorite_drive. But by convention IDE drives are named hd[a-z].

Does that clear things up? Post back if not.

BTW, you will have to recreate those files this every time you reboot the LiveCD, unless you remaster your own CD or use the "save configuration" command and modify the knoppix.sh script. If you would like a hand with either of those, post back.

Glad to hear things are working. And thank you for posting back with your experiences.

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org