-
Junior Member
registered user
Put GRUB into CD-RW Knoppix ?
I am still using Knoppix 3.7 on Windows XP. I have no difficulty, either directly from the CD or from a "poor man's install" on my hard drive.
I use Knoppix to access the Konqueror browser, so that I can see what my own web pages look like in Konqueror. In many cases, problems exposed by Konqueror would also be in Mac Safari. This often requires me to switch back and forth between Windows and Knoppix, numerous times.
There is no technical difficulty: When I reboot, if the Knoppix CD is in the CD-ROM drive, I get Knoppix. If not, I get Windows. I have tried GRUB on floppy, so that I have a boot choice, but I am not satisfied, since my floppy drive is unreliable and I cannot easily replace it (laptop).
I do not want to alter the Windows boot record with GRUB, Lilo, or any other method. But I ask: Is it possible to alter the boot record on the Knoppix CD (3.7 or later), so that it starts with GRUB rather than directly to Knoppix ? That is, whenever the CD is inserted, I want it to offer me the choice of (a) Boot to Knoppix, perhaps allowing me to enter cheat codes; or (b) ignore the Knoppix CD and go to Windows.
I can use a CD-RW if necessary. But I cannot write DVD.
I looked through the forum for likely topics, but didn't see this question posed. You should know that I can do many routine tasks such as use a hex editor (if given instructions), but I cannot program, and I do not understand Linux.
Similar Threads
-
By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-21-2005, 06:02 PM
-
By francio in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-30-2005, 09:05 AM
-
By papwilly in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 24
Last Post: 03-20-2005, 10:43 PM
-
By brian in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-17-2005, 05:59 PM
-
By Jken in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$218.79

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic
$24.95