-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks, ruymbeke. Although your solution wasn't what I originally had in mind, it works... almost. Being able to dual-boot to a HD iso image - easily updated, no CD required - without any change to the Windows MBR, in a way that I can easily edit myself from within Windows, is a big plus. 
Using a password with grub will solve the granny problem. I'm not worried about hackers, rather I'm worried about the computer-illiterate getting into something they can't handle. (Do you think they would notice if it booted to Linux instead of Windows? No!)
While I was at it, I upgraded to Knoppix 3.8.2. Since I don't need all the capabilities, I didn't want to fool with some of the things that seem to have popped up in 3.9 and later.
One problem, and it is significant: (1) Old method, prior to using Grub from HD: Using a CD (even wtih poor man's install), when I reboot from Knoppix all is OK. After termination, I get the message from Knoppix to remove the CD, then hit ENTER. If I hit enter, the computer re-boots. It re-boots to Windows if I did remove the CD, or re-boots to Knoppix if I left the CD in. No problem. (2) But new method, using Grub boot from HD and Knoppix iso from HD, as described above: When I reboot from Knoppix, it hangs at the end of termination, just before the line that asks me to remove the CD. At this point, even with patience, nothing happens. Hitting ENTER does nothing except feed a line. If I use CTRL+ALT+DEL, then Knoppix responds with a few lines that seems to indicate it is trying to do something, but fails. The only way to re-boot is to manually turn the power off and on! This is not an improvement.
Is this fixable, via cheat code or (if necessary and understandable) by edits, including hexedit to iso file?
Similar Threads
-
By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-21-2005, 06:02 PM
-
By francio in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-30-2005, 09:05 AM
-
By papwilly in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 24
Last Post: 03-20-2005, 10:43 PM
-
By brian in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-17-2005, 05:59 PM
-
By Jken in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W
$899.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99