-
Error on BIOS autodetect
Hi, I searched around for awhile, but I couldn't find an answer to my problem.
I have a hard drive that's on it's way out. I tried running knoppix to help recover the data, but when I load knoppix i get an error after the green bar goes across the screen on autodetect. The bar finishes, then I get a Warning saying that the BIOS autodetect was hanging.
Then I get 2 red words saying system error or something like that. I think it's hanging when BIOS detects the hard drives.
Is there a switch which will specifically stop hard drive detection and allow everything else to work?
I tried fail safe, which loads knoppix, but the mouse is USB and that doesn't work, and the internet connection doesn't work to allow me to search for more info.
I tried expert, but it hangs mid boot on a question. I can't type in an answer because my keyboard, which is also USB, had gotten disabled somewhere after the start.
I'd like to try again, but let it autodetect everything except hard drives, then try to mount them afterwards.
Thanks in advance for any help.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Error on BIOS autodetect

Originally Posted by
databyss
Is there a switch which will specifically stop hard drive detection and allow everything else to work?
What version of Knoppix are you using?
Depending on which Knoppix you are using, the answer to your question is, sort of. What you want is something like the failsafe label but with USB. Unfortunately, that doesn't exist. However, you can get close with some cheatcodes. My first stab would be to try to get into "emergency mode" and do everything at the command line:
boot: knoppix nohwsetup -b 6
If you are not that familiar with the command line, then you can boot into a GUI yet avoid disk access with these cheatcodes:
boot: knoppix nofstab noscsi nodma noswap nohwsetup
If that doesn't work, you can try a full-blown failsafe with USB:
boot: knoppix atapicd nosound noapic noacpi pnpbios=off acpi=off nofstab noscsi nodma noapm nopcmcia nofirewire noagp nodhcp xmodule=vesa nohwsetup
There may be other cheatcodes to explore.
Try those and let us know how things go.
Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org
-
Awesome! Thanks.
I'll give these a shot when I get home and see what happens.
Similar Threads
-
By joejoe404 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-24-2006, 02:01 AM
-
By m in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-04-2005, 06:45 PM
-
By illinigator in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-19-2004, 10:11 PM
-
By tungcit in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-13-2003, 07:24 AM
-
By sqrl in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-13-2003, 08:28 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$95.00

Dell Latitude 3390 2-in-1 13.3" Touchscreen i3 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 10 Pro
$120.00

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$175.00

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675)
$123.16

Dell Latitude 7480 Intel Core I5-6300u 2.40GHZ 8GB 256GB Touch WCam W11 Cord
$85.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF
$435.99

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….
$309.99

Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW
$225.00

Dell Latitude 7200 Touch Tablet Laptop 12” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99