Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Error on BIOS autodetect

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2

    Error on BIOS autodetect

    Hi, I searched around for awhile, but I couldn't find an answer to my problem.

    I have a hard drive that's on it's way out. I tried running knoppix to help recover the data, but when I load knoppix i get an error after the green bar goes across the screen on autodetect. The bar finishes, then I get a Warning saying that the BIOS autodetect was hanging.

    Then I get 2 red words saying system error or something like that. I think it's hanging when BIOS detects the hard drives.

    Is there a switch which will specifically stop hard drive detection and allow everything else to work?

    I tried fail safe, which loads knoppix, but the mouse is USB and that doesn't work, and the internet connection doesn't work to allow me to search for more info.

    I tried expert, but it hangs mid boot on a question. I can't type in an answer because my keyboard, which is also USB, had gotten disabled somewhere after the start.

    I'd like to try again, but let it autodetect everything except hard drives, then try to mount them afterwards.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Error on BIOS autodetect

    Quote Originally Posted by databyss
    Is there a switch which will specifically stop hard drive detection and allow everything else to work?
    What version of Knoppix are you using?

    Depending on which Knoppix you are using, the answer to your question is, sort of. What you want is something like the failsafe label but with USB. Unfortunately, that doesn't exist. However, you can get close with some cheatcodes. My first stab would be to try to get into "emergency mode" and do everything at the command line:

    boot: knoppix nohwsetup -b 6

    If you are not that familiar with the command line, then you can boot into a GUI yet avoid disk access with these cheatcodes:

    boot: knoppix nofstab noscsi nodma noswap nohwsetup

    If that doesn't work, you can try a full-blown failsafe with USB:

    boot: knoppix atapicd nosound noapic noacpi pnpbios=off acpi=off nofstab noscsi nodma noapm nopcmcia nofirewire noagp nodhcp xmodule=vesa nohwsetup

    There may be other cheatcodes to explore.

    Try those and let us know how things go.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2
    Awesome! Thanks.

    I'll give these a shot when I get home and see what happens.

Similar Threads

  1. AutoDetect Hardware
    By joejoe404 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2006, 02:01 AM
  2. knoppix 3.7 and alsa (autodetect)
    By m in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 06:45 PM
  3. Stop HD autodetect?
    By illinigator in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 10:11 PM
  4. usb not autodetect (not mount)
    By tungcit in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-13-2003, 07:24 AM
  5. knoppix autodetect
    By sqrl in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-13-2003, 08:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB,Internal,7200 RPM,3.5 inch Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB,Internal,7200 RPM,3.5 inch Hard Drive

$29.90



Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408

$354.99



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



Dell 2.4TB 10K SAS 2.5

Dell 2.4TB 10K SAS 2.5" F9NWJ 12Gbps HDD AL15SEB24EQY Hard Drive w/ Caddy

$324.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99



HGST HUS724020ALA640 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5 HDD P/N: 0F14690 picture

HGST HUS724020ALA640 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5 HDD P/N: 0F14690

$55.00