Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Error on BIOS autodetect

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2

    Error on BIOS autodetect

    Hi, I searched around for awhile, but I couldn't find an answer to my problem.

    I have a hard drive that's on it's way out. I tried running knoppix to help recover the data, but when I load knoppix i get an error after the green bar goes across the screen on autodetect. The bar finishes, then I get a Warning saying that the BIOS autodetect was hanging.

    Then I get 2 red words saying system error or something like that. I think it's hanging when BIOS detects the hard drives.

    Is there a switch which will specifically stop hard drive detection and allow everything else to work?

    I tried fail safe, which loads knoppix, but the mouse is USB and that doesn't work, and the internet connection doesn't work to allow me to search for more info.

    I tried expert, but it hangs mid boot on a question. I can't type in an answer because my keyboard, which is also USB, had gotten disabled somewhere after the start.

    I'd like to try again, but let it autodetect everything except hard drives, then try to mount them afterwards.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Error on BIOS autodetect

    Quote Originally Posted by databyss
    Is there a switch which will specifically stop hard drive detection and allow everything else to work?
    What version of Knoppix are you using?

    Depending on which Knoppix you are using, the answer to your question is, sort of. What you want is something like the failsafe label but with USB. Unfortunately, that doesn't exist. However, you can get close with some cheatcodes. My first stab would be to try to get into "emergency mode" and do everything at the command line:

    boot: knoppix nohwsetup -b 6

    If you are not that familiar with the command line, then you can boot into a GUI yet avoid disk access with these cheatcodes:

    boot: knoppix nofstab noscsi nodma noswap nohwsetup

    If that doesn't work, you can try a full-blown failsafe with USB:

    boot: knoppix atapicd nosound noapic noacpi pnpbios=off acpi=off nofstab noscsi nodma noapm nopcmcia nofirewire noagp nodhcp xmodule=vesa nohwsetup

    There may be other cheatcodes to explore.

    Try those and let us know how things go.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2
    Awesome! Thanks.

    I'll give these a shot when I get home and see what happens.

Similar Threads

  1. AutoDetect Hardware
    By joejoe404 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2006, 02:01 AM
  2. knoppix 3.7 and alsa (autodetect)
    By m in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 06:45 PM
  3. Stop HD autodetect?
    By illinigator in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 10:11 PM
  4. usb not autodetect (not mount)
    By tungcit in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-13-2003, 07:24 AM
  5. knoppix autodetect
    By sqrl in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-13-2003, 08:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB picture

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB

$82.00



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$167.63



K&F CONCEPT 130000RPM 2in1 Compressed Air Duster Super Power w/ Screen Display picture

K&F CONCEPT 130000RPM 2in1 Compressed Air Duster Super Power w/ Screen Display

$59.99



Vacuum/Air Duster Super Power Mini Car Vacuum Cleaner 4-in-1 air Blower Gun picture

Vacuum/Air Duster Super Power Mini Car Vacuum Cleaner 4-in-1 air Blower Gun

$64.35



17V Charger for VacLife VL726 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner picture

17V Charger for VacLife VL726 Cordless Vacuum Cleaner

$14.54



Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys picture

Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys

$16.99



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Compressed Air Duster 1 Button Adjustment 12000 RPM Air Blower Car Home Keyboard picture

Compressed Air Duster 1 Button Adjustment 12000 RPM Air Blower Car Home Keyboard

$38.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99