Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Error on BIOS autodetect

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2

    Error on BIOS autodetect

    Hi, I searched around for awhile, but I couldn't find an answer to my problem.

    I have a hard drive that's on it's way out. I tried running knoppix to help recover the data, but when I load knoppix i get an error after the green bar goes across the screen on autodetect. The bar finishes, then I get a Warning saying that the BIOS autodetect was hanging.

    Then I get 2 red words saying system error or something like that. I think it's hanging when BIOS detects the hard drives.

    Is there a switch which will specifically stop hard drive detection and allow everything else to work?

    I tried fail safe, which loads knoppix, but the mouse is USB and that doesn't work, and the internet connection doesn't work to allow me to search for more info.

    I tried expert, but it hangs mid boot on a question. I can't type in an answer because my keyboard, which is also USB, had gotten disabled somewhere after the start.

    I'd like to try again, but let it autodetect everything except hard drives, then try to mount them afterwards.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Error on BIOS autodetect

    Quote Originally Posted by databyss
    Is there a switch which will specifically stop hard drive detection and allow everything else to work?
    What version of Knoppix are you using?

    Depending on which Knoppix you are using, the answer to your question is, sort of. What you want is something like the failsafe label but with USB. Unfortunately, that doesn't exist. However, you can get close with some cheatcodes. My first stab would be to try to get into "emergency mode" and do everything at the command line:

    boot: knoppix nohwsetup -b 6

    If you are not that familiar with the command line, then you can boot into a GUI yet avoid disk access with these cheatcodes:

    boot: knoppix nofstab noscsi nodma noswap nohwsetup

    If that doesn't work, you can try a full-blown failsafe with USB:

    boot: knoppix atapicd nosound noapic noacpi pnpbios=off acpi=off nofstab noscsi nodma noapm nopcmcia nofirewire noagp nodhcp xmodule=vesa nohwsetup

    There may be other cheatcodes to explore.

    Try those and let us know how things go.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2
    Awesome! Thanks.

    I'll give these a shot when I get home and see what happens.

Similar Threads

  1. AutoDetect Hardware
    By joejoe404 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2006, 02:01 AM
  2. knoppix 3.7 and alsa (autodetect)
    By m in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 06:45 PM
  3. Stop HD autodetect?
    By illinigator in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 10:11 PM
  4. usb not autodetect (not mount)
    By tungcit in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-13-2003, 07:24 AM
  5. knoppix autodetect
    By sqrl in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-13-2003, 08:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$13.99



Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New picture

Dell SonicWall TZ400 Network Security Appliance Firewall New

$185.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$299.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Maxed HP MicroServer Gen8 3.5GHz Xeon E3-1270 V2 16GB RAM 40TB RAID 1TB SSD NAS picture

Maxed HP MicroServer Gen8 3.5GHz Xeon E3-1270 V2 16GB RAM 40TB RAID 1TB SSD NAS

$1499.00



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$199.00



Multi-Boot Linux & Utility 18 in 1 USB – Best of 2026 Free Same-Day Shipping picture

Multi-Boot Linux & Utility 18 in 1 USB – Best of 2026 Free Same-Day Shipping

$22.99