Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: USB not recognized

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Allen, TX, USA
    Posts
    17

    USB not recognized

    I was wanting to use a usb solid state hd to store my home directory and config files. However, Knoppix (run from CD) does not seem to be detecting my usb.

    I'm brand new to linux and I don't even know what information to give you to help diagnose the problem.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    Re: USB not recognized

    Quote Originally Posted by SerenityNet
    I was wanting to use a usb solid state hd to store my home directory and config files. However, Knoppix (run from CD) does not seem to be detecting my usb.

    I'm brand new to linux and I don't even know what information to give you to help diagnose the problem.
    Find out the id of your device, mostly than not, it is not supported by the driver. You may find out more info from 'dmesg'

    The USB driver design in Linux is a bit 'strange' I would say, especially for odd device. I need to recompile the usb-storage device driver in order for it to recognize my USB CF reader, even though all it needs is some .H file changes, the logic is all there.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Allen, TX, USA
    Posts
    17
    Thank you, but you are way over my head. I think I'll let the USB thing rest for awhile.

    Thanks again,
    Andrew

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by SerenityNet
    [color=darkblue]Thank you, but you are way over my head. I think I'll let the USB thing rest for awhile.
    While I do not have a USB drive to experiment with I can say that solid state drives do work with Linux. Knoppix on the other hand I do not know. I'm willing to give it a shot if you are.

    You can see if it's seen by Knoppix like this:

    Open a terminal (shell)->the little monitor icon w/ a shell on it located on the taskbar.

    type this:

    cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

    Pretty self explainatory yes?

    lsmod

    That shows what modules are loaded- post the output please.

    cat /proc/scsi/scsi

    Post that as well.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Allen, TX, USA
    Posts
    17
    Yes, I guess I'll give it a try. As long as you help me through step-by-step (like you have so far). I have no idea what I'm doing.

    Before I show what I got in the shell, let me give you some notes I took. I'm running v3.2, 2003-04-18 Beta. During boot, I noticed that the script said "USB Found... Managed by Hotplug". Then, the screen went blank for a moment and I saw in grey print at the top, "usb control bulk message timeout". Then then background came on and Knoppix loaded. Also, on shutdown, I noticed in the script that it said, "usb unmounted". However, while Knoppix was running, I didn't see my memory stick.

    Okay, that's it for the notes. Now here is what you asked for:
    Code:
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
    T:  Bus=02 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 2
    B:  Alloc=  0/900 us ( 0%), #Int=  0, #Iso=  0
    D:  Ver= 1.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
    P:  Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 0.00
    S:  Product=USB UHCI Root Hub
    S:  SerialNumber=dc00
    C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr=  0mA
    I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
    E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=255ms
    T:  Bus=02 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  4 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
    D:  Ver= 1.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
    P:  Vendor=0451 ProdID=1446 Rev= 1.00
    C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=100mA
    I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=(none)
    E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   1 Ivl=255ms
    T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=12  MxCh= 2
    B:  Alloc=  0/900 us ( 0%), #Int=  0, #Iso=  0
    D:  Ver= 1.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
    P:  Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 0.00
    S:  Product=USB UHCI Root Hub
    S:  SerialNumber=e000
    C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr=  0mA
    I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
    E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=255ms
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ lsmod
    Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
    ext3                   62912   0 (autoclean)
    jbd                    45492   0 (autoclean) [ext3]
    radeon                108164  10
    autofs4                 8724   1 (autoclean)
    af_packet              13448   0 (autoclean)
    nls_cp437               4380   0 (autoclean)
    nls_iso8859-1           2876   0 (autoclean)
    ntfs                   50784   0 (autoclean)
    soundcore               3364   0 (autoclean)
    agpgart                34720   3
    3c59x                  25776   1
    serial                 51876   0 (autoclean)
    usb-uhci               21836   0 (unused)
    usbcore                57088   1 [usb-uhci]
    apm                     9612   1
    rtc                     6908   0 (autoclean)
    cloop                   5168   1
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
      Vendor: DVD-16X  Model: BDV316C          Rev: .19G
      Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
      Vendor: SONY     Model: CD-RW  CRX175E2  Rev: S002
      Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Well...........unfortunately I have yet to see USB 1.0 work with Linux. Hopefully I am mistaken but as I said I have not found anything (yet). Maybe someone can correct me on this? My only suggestion is to buy a 2.0 USB port PCI card. Sorry.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Have you plugged in your memory stick when you do the :

    cat /proc/bus/usb/devices ?

    It seems that it cannot see anything, only a hub.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Allen, TX, USA
    Posts
    17
    Yes. I had the stick in before booting.

    It's too bad about the 1.0 not working. I wouldn't mind going out and picking up a 2.0 for home, but that's not where I really want the USB to function. I want it to function at work and going to 2.0 isn't an option.

    Thanks for giving it a whirl.

Similar Threads

  1. display not recognized?
    By revelater in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2005, 07:25 AM
  2. Because the keyboard is not recognized ?
    By studisco65 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 08:10 PM
  3. HDs does not recognized by Knoppix
    By NewGuy in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 03:30 AM
  4. 3.06 HT cpu not recognized ?
    By Kluk-Kluk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2003, 09:51 AM
  5. Swap is not recognized
    By fluberman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-21-2003, 01:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01