Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Error: Cannot Unite Read-Only Media and Initial Ramdisk!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Louis, MO USA
    Posts
    9

    Error: Cannot Unite Read-Only Media and Initial Ramdisk!

    I am trying to boot knoppix 3.9. After boot begins. the message "error: cannot unite read-only media and initial ramdisk!" appears.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Louis, MO USA
    Posts
    9
    I think that I have a bad burn of knoppix 3.9. There are a bunch of "cloop" errors preceding the actual error that I mentioned in my initial post. Also, when I run "knoppixtestcd" it says that it can't find kernal. Thanks anyway. If anyone has a differing opinion, please let me know. As I'm sure you figured out, I'm new to this, so any information would be welcomed.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstl
    I think that I have a bad burn of knoppix 3.9.
    I think you are right on the money. The symptoms you describe sound like a classic case of bad burn. Just be sure to check the md5sum of the downloaded ISO and to burn slowly, <8x.

    Let us know how things go with the new burn.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Louis, MO USA
    Posts
    9
    Thanks for responding. I burned the disk at 8X. I'm going to try to burn slower at see if that works. If not, I'm going to buy a "pre-burned" cd. By the way, and off subject, I also live in the St Louis area too, and hope to attend the next LUG meeting on the 24th. Thanks again, I'll let you know if it worked.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstl
    Thanks for responding. I burned the disk at 8X. I'm going to try to burn slower at see if that works. If not, I'm going to buy a "pre-burned" cd. By the way, and off subject, I also live in the St Louis area too, and hope to attend the next LUG meeting on the 24th. Thanks again, I'll let you know if it worked.
    Excellent! If you want a CD sooner, we could meet up at a Bread Co and I can give you a CD. Just drop me a private message or e-mail me (e-mail's on the website).

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Louis, MO USA
    Posts
    9
    Well, I burned a new copy of Knoppix 3.9 at a slower speed (4X) with no luck. I tried to check the md5 sum by typing: md5sum -c filename.md5, but it came up as "kernel not found". So, I believe that my download must have been corrupt. Does this sound correct? Was my method of checking the md5sum correct? Thanks for all of your help.

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstl
    Well, I burned a new copy of Knoppix 3.9 at a slower speed (4X) with no luck. I tried to check the md5 sum by typing: md5sum -c filename.md5, but it came up as "kernel not found". So, I believe that my download must have been corrupt. Does this sound correct? Was my method of checking the md5sum correct? Thanks for all of your help.
    No, it sounds like you don't understand how to check the md5 sum, you don't type in anything at the boot prompt, you use a md5 check program in Windows (or in Knoppix if you have a different version of Knoppix running) to check the ISO before burning it. See the Downloading FAQ for details.

    Your Kernel not found mesage means that the bootstrap program thought you were trying to find a Linux kernel on your CD named md5sum, and it couldn't find one. Being that there is no Linux kernel named md5sum, this was all it could do.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Louis, MO USA
    Posts
    9
    You are correct, I didn't know how to find the md5sum. Thanks for your help

  9. #9
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I've updated the Downloading FAQ to try to make this more clear. Hopefully others will not make the same error.

    What was the result of the md5 test? Good ISO or bad? If good then I'm hard pressed to guess what else might be the issue with a 4x burn.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Louis, MO USA
    Posts
    9
    The md5sum checked out as incomplete (1 file missing or damaged). Thanks for all of your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 06:45 AM
  2. mplayeror any other good media player to play media . . .
    By Albretch in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 09:33 PM
  3. Cd Boot error-cannot unite read only media with ramdisk
    By TimHudson in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2005, 04:43 AM
  4. ERROR: CANNOT UNITE READ-ONLY MEDIA AND INITIAL RAMDISK
    By tom_vear in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-23-2005, 03:51 AM
  5. Can not reunite read only media and ramdisk?
    By Laputa in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2005, 07:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00