-
ISO HUGE
My Knoppix file just keeps on growing. I have attempted to delete more files but it doesn't seem to make much difference. What's worst is that each time I start again, the thing gets even bigger although I am deleting more and more stuff. I have emptied /var/lib/apt/lists and var/cache/apt/archives, but I think that somewhere something is being stored each time I try to do this (I must have done it way over 30 times). When I switch versions from 3.9 to 3.7 and back again it seems to reduce it temporarily, but as I always make some mistake or other I end up reinstalling everything and am back to square one. Does anyone know whatisi happening (my temp folderis only 790B and my hard drive install is at 2007764 , which makes a 3.9 Knoppix file of about 768MB with an average compression rate of 37%. I have deleted about 348688 worth of files)
-
ISO huge
Still don't understand about the growing problem, but I managed to reduce things by swapping openoffice-de-en with Koffice (saving about 250MB) and by installing localeconf + localepurge then doing dpkg-reconfigure locales, which allowed me to delete settings in languages I won't be using (can't remeber where in the forum I read this,but thanks wherever you are). If anyone knows how linking kaffe or Blackdown jdk with tomcat works it would make my disc tinyish as that would probably save me another 150MB, which my class could use for other software.
-
ISO Won't get smaller
I had a simular problem..
I was using the knoppix-remaster script to do the job.
It worked well for me, but dispite removing packages my Iso refused to shrink.
The problem was.. I had mounted another Partition to copy my custom scripts and files.
I never umounted the partition and the remasterd iso included the contents of the "other" partition.
Once I remembered to umount the un-need partitions my iso file behaved as it should.
-
Don't forget to umount /proc
Believe it or not this is not an uncommon problem, FlaHam is right in saying that its typically a mounted partition within the chroot environment that if forgotten to be unmounted upon leaving. It could also be an unchecked mounted partition in the master directories as well. Why there would be one there I don't know, but stranger things have happened.
The most common reason for me getting huge ISOs when starting out remastering was that I often forgot to unmount /proc before leaving the chroot environment, thus when I was creating the CLOOP file I was pulling in the remaster environments proc directory as well, which could range between 50-300MB depending on what was being run.
-
Junior Member
registered user
to get the max onto a CD, it seems likely that KK has used
create_compressed_fs --best
This is VERY slow so you only want to do it having tested the image with qemu.
Similar Threads
-
By GuyKnick in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-08-2008, 04:10 AM
-
By edwood in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 12-31-2005, 10:57 PM
-
By roadrunner in forum General Support
Replies: 13
Last Post: 11-17-2005, 08:09 PM
-
By Leipe_Po in forum Klik
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-12-2005, 08:45 PM
-
By jinzora in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-11-2005, 12:46 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95