Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: copying ntfs data via ext. dvd burner or hd

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1

    copying ntfs data via ext. dvd burner or hd

    Hello: I'm a relative newbie to linux & knoppix. PC is a vaio laptop about a year old. I want to remove data on an NTFS partition by booting with knoppix 3.8 cd, and using that knoppix to detect the USB external pioneer dvr-107 dvd burner, and burning data onto a windows formatted (i presume it's fat32) DVD-RW disk. But:
    -I looked in /mnt and /etc/fstab, and didn't see the DVD drive mounted, nor does icon for drive appear. Also, an external floppy drive has an icon on desktop & apparently exists as /dev/fd0 in fstab, but a dos floppy does not open & error msg pops up that "file:/mnt/floppy does not exist" (logged in as root). So I don't know how to:
    - get the external drives detected then mounted
    another question:
    I may have access to an external fat32 usb 80G hard drive. Will the boot from knoppix 3.8 cd detect that drive so that I can move the data from internal hd to USB external hd? Any advice/links appreciated. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: copying ntfs data via ext. dvd burner or hd

    Quote Originally Posted by linusr
    Hello: I'm a relative newbie to linux & knoppix. PC is a vaio laptop about a year old. I want to remove data on an NTFS partition by booting with knoppix 3.8 cd, and using that knoppix to detect the USB external pioneer dvr-107 dvd burner, and burning data onto a windows formatted (i presume it's fat32) DVD-RW disk. But:
    -I looked in /mnt and /etc/fstab, and didn't see the DVD drive mounted, nor does icon for drive appear. Also, an external floppy drive has an icon on desktop & apparently exists as /dev/fd0 in fstab, but a dos floppy does not open & error msg pops up that "file:/mnt/floppy does not exist" (logged in as root). So I don't know how to:
    - get the external drives detected then mounted
    another question:
    I may have access to an external fat32 usb 80G hard drive. Will the boot from knoppix 3.8 cd detect that drive so that I can move the data from internal hd to USB external hd? Any advice/links appreciated. Thank you.
    If in writing to a DVD you expect to write to some sort of "formatted RW media" in a packet writing mode, I think you're going to be out of luck. You may well be able to write to a DVD-R (or DVD-RW) in the normal ISO 9660 disk format that is a standard for optical disks and can be written and read by both Linux and that Microsoft operating system. However, are you booting Knoppix from that drive? Is the CD still in the drive? Did you use the toram feature to let you swap out the CD? If there is only one optical drive and you don't use the toram option then you'll need to keep the CD in and will not be able to swap in a blank hunk of media.

    You very well may be able to write to an external USB device. I can, but some people seem to have problems with it. It's worth a try.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2006, 07:03 AM
  2. Copying NTFS Files
    By HappyDays in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2005, 06:29 AM
  3. copying data & mouse problem
    By dannax in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2005, 07:04 PM
  4. difficulty copying and burning - please help me save my data
    By astrojohn in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 02:06 AM
  5. Newbie Help - Recovering Data, Copying Files, Using CD-RW
    By Johnny3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-31-2003, 07:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW picture

Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW

$30.89



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem

$152.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Samsung LC34G55TWDNXZA 34

Samsung LC34G55TWDNXZA 34" Odyssey G55T WQHD 165Hz 1ms(MPRT) AMD FreeSync HDR

$217.00



Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible picture

Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible

$39.00



Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2 picture

Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2

$89.00



Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD picture

Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD

$59.99



USB C to Type C Cable Fast Charger For Samsung Galaxy S8 S9 S10 Plus Note 10 12 picture

USB C to Type C Cable Fast Charger For Samsung Galaxy S8 S9 S10 Plus Note 10 12

$5.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00