Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Booting from non-bootable cd, using floppies?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Booting from non-bootable cd, using floppies?

    The situation is, that I have a knoppix-CD which has been burned file-by-file, but hasn't been made bootable. So it has all the right files in right directories, but just isn't bootable.

    Now I want to start Knoppix from that CD using a set of 1440KB boot-floppies (as I'm quite sure single floppy isn't enough).

    Is this possible?
    (I'm currently working with knoppix-3.8.2, but I'd like to have a method which would work also on newer CDs)

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6
    try to get the 4.0 DVD. Start this DVD as Life-DVD; the menue-point KNOPPIX gives you the possibility to create a boot-floppy ( 2 formatted Floppys are needed).
    This Boot-Floppy enables you to start a Knoppix Live-CD or -DVD since version 3.4 from the floppy. Then you need to insert the CD and Knoppix will start - hopefully.
    I tried this with my installation and it works.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by ossobussi
    This Boot-Floppy enables you to start a Knoppix Live-CD or -DVD since version 3.4 from the floppy.
    Are you sure it works with non-bootable Knoppix CDs also?
    For example the floppy-boot using Smart Boot Manager only works with bootable CDs.

    (I don't have a DVD-writer so I can't check this at the moment).

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6
    good question. I am not shure, but it makes no sense otherway.
    Bootable CD means that the BIOS identifies due to the bootrecord where are my files, that I have to put into the main-memory.
    Thats what with the floppy now works.
    But try it!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205
    I could try it once I get DVD-writer somewhere...

    Currently I'm testing "Multi Disc Linux Boot Loader 0.1" from http://www.rocklinux.org/mdlbl.html which might work, but I havn't tested it properly yet.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Booting from non-bootable cd, using floppies?

    Quote Originally Posted by malaire
    The situation is, that I have a knoppix-CD which has been burned file-by-file, but hasn't been made bootable. So it has all the right files in right directories, but just isn't bootable.
    If your CD isn't bootable the reason is that you didn't follow the instructions that a number of people have put a lot of effort into making very clear in the Downloading FAQ. If you really believe that the CD you made is not bootable, tell us just how you made it, or read the Downloading FAQ (found by following the Documentation link near the top of this page) and make one that is bootable.

    If instead the problem is that the CD is indeed bootable but that for some reason your system isn't booting it, well, that's covered in the Downloading FAQ too, a nice one-stop place for Downloading, burning and booting inforation.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205

    Re: Booting from non-bootable cd, using floppies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    If your CD isn't bootable the reason is that you didn't follow the instructions ...
    Sorry, I didn't mention clearly enough why I want this. I do know how to burn bootable CDs.

    I'm currently creating customized knoppix-CD, and I want to support a scenario where the user of this CD doesn't know how to properly copy his/her CD, and makes a non-bootable copy to his/her friend.

    Now I want that friend to be able to create a new bootable CD with what he/she has, with as little hassle as possible.
    Currently I'm thinking of adding images of boot-floppies to the CD, which can be used to boot the unbootable CD, and a simple script to recreate the original iso-file with right options.

Similar Threads

  1. Floppies?
    By PupSpark in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2009, 05:59 PM
  2. boot floppies when a pc has a very old cdrom
    By dicktracy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-27-2006, 10:56 PM
  3. using the boot floppies on 4.0.2
    By pebay in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2006, 12:03 AM
  4. Submounting Floppies
    By no_name in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-24-2005, 09:38 AM
  5. Knoppix 3.2 and USB Floppies
    By gettinbranded in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2003, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC picture

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC

$115.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop picture

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop

$40.00