-
Senior Member
registered user
Booting from non-bootable cd, using floppies?
The situation is, that I have a knoppix-CD which has been burned file-by-file, but hasn't been made bootable. So it has all the right files in right directories, but just isn't bootable.
Now I want to start Knoppix from that CD using a set of 1440KB boot-floppies (as I'm quite sure single floppy isn't enough).
Is this possible?
(I'm currently working with knoppix-3.8.2, but I'd like to have a method which would work also on newer CDs)
-
try to get the 4.0 DVD. Start this DVD as Life-DVD; the menue-point KNOPPIX gives you the possibility to create a boot-floppy ( 2 formatted Floppys are needed).
This Boot-Floppy enables you to start a Knoppix Live-CD or -DVD since version 3.4 from the floppy. Then you need to insert the CD and Knoppix will start - hopefully.
I tried this with my installation and it works.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
ossobussi
This Boot-Floppy enables you to start a Knoppix Live-CD or -DVD since version 3.4 from the floppy.
Are you sure it works with non-bootable Knoppix CDs also?
For example the floppy-boot using Smart Boot Manager only works with bootable CDs.
(I don't have a DVD-writer so I can't check this at the moment).
-
good question. I am not shure, but it makes no sense otherway.
Bootable CD means that the BIOS identifies due to the bootrecord where are my files, that I have to put into the main-memory.
Thats what with the floppy now works.
But try it!
-
Senior Member
registered user
I could try it once I get DVD-writer somewhere...
Currently I'm testing "Multi Disc Linux Boot Loader 0.1" from http://www.rocklinux.org/mdlbl.html which might work, but I havn't tested it properly yet.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Booting from non-bootable cd, using floppies?

Originally Posted by
malaire
The situation is, that I have a knoppix-CD which has been burned file-by-file, but hasn't been made bootable. So it has all the right files in right directories, but just isn't bootable.
If your CD isn't bootable the reason is that you didn't follow the instructions that a number of people have put a lot of effort into making very clear in the Downloading FAQ. If you really believe that the CD you made is not bootable, tell us just how you made it, or read the Downloading FAQ (found by following the Documentation link near the top of this page) and make one that is bootable.
If instead the problem is that the CD is indeed bootable but that for some reason your system isn't booting it, well, that's covered in the Downloading FAQ too, a nice one-stop place for Downloading, burning and booting inforation.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Booting from non-bootable cd, using floppies?

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
If your CD isn't bootable the reason is that you didn't follow the instructions ...
Sorry, I didn't mention clearly enough why I want this. I do know how to burn bootable CDs.
I'm currently creating customized knoppix-CD, and I want to support a scenario where the user of this CD doesn't know how to properly copy his/her CD, and makes a non-bootable copy to his/her friend.
Now I want that friend to be able to create a new bootable CD with what he/she has, with as little hassle as possible.
Currently I'm thinking of adding images of boot-floppies to the CD, which can be used to boot the unbootable CD, and a simple script to recreate the original iso-file with right options.
Similar Threads
-
By PupSpark in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-22-2009, 05:59 PM
-
By dicktracy in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-27-2006, 10:56 PM
-
By pebay in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-14-2006, 12:03 AM
-
By no_name in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-24-2005, 09:38 AM
-
By gettinbranded in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-22-2003, 05:34 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99