Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: HD Install KNOPPIX 3.9, but PLEASE no boot loader

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    HD Install KNOPPIX 3.9, but PLEASE no boot loader

    Hi,
    I am a very keen Knoppix supporter and user, often using this particular live-linux system to retrieve data from damaged os, or just as a general fallback, never missing the chance to recommend it.
    Some time ago I successfully performed an HD install using 3.8 or 3.7, I can't remember which, and now I would like to install 3.9 on one of my hard-drives, but as I have an existing GRUB boot loader on a separate disk I would prefer not to write a new one. At one stage of the install, which I started with "knoppix-installer" the question I am asked is "Choose where the bootlaoder shall be installed - to Master Boot Record or to Root Partition", but there is no option for not writing any bootloader at all. Is there no way to skip this step?

    TIA

    Regards,

    Agustin

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    If you choose "...to Root Partition" no harm will be done. Knoppix will be unbootable until you do something later. If your existing bootloader is same as this in Knoppix, you can simply take thing from Knoppix bootloader and put them in existing bootloader. Example:

    title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.11-kanotix-11
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-kanotix-11 root=/dev/hda3 ro ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us apm=power-off nomce vga=0x317
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.11-kanotix-11
    boot

    title MEPIS at hda1, kernel 2.6.10
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10 root=/dev/hda1 nomce quiet splash=verbose vga=791
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.splash

    Here you can see 2 diferent distributions - one is original bootloader, and other is taken from partition and put here.

  3. #3
    Hi again,

    Thanks a lot for suggestions; in the end I decided to go ahead an put in the new bootloader, as the one I thought I had seems to have been trashed.

    Setup went well, though on reboot I had some initial problems connecting to the internet. This was solved by going to the "proxy" section of Control Center and setting them to "Automatically detect proxy configuration" and also ticked "Use persistent connections to proxy" (not so sure if this last is a good idea.

    Thank you again for your help.

    Agustín

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3

    Main OS

    I have a question about making Knoppix my primary and only OS.
    I have never used and seen a Linux system before, and i cant uderstand the documents in the Documentation.
    Iam not sure if they meen what i ask or only to make Knoppix on Hdd.

    Isnt there an easier way to install knoppix from scratch like when you install windows?
    I tried to install it using sudo knoppix-installer and i needed more space.
    Are there a way to formating the hard-drive?
    Can i delete my whole hdd or just window?

    Anyway, i want to get rid of all evidence that i even used windows and make a linux system my primary OS.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user Weevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    18

    Re: Main OS

    Quote Originally Posted by T_H_E_O_N_E
    I have a question about making Knoppix my primary and only OS.
    I have never used and seen a Linux system before, and i cant uderstand the documents in the Documentation.
    Iam not sure if they meen what i ask or only to make Knoppix on Hdd.

    Isnt there an easier way to install knoppix from scratch like when you install windows?
    I tried to install it using sudo knoppix-installer and i needed more space.
    Are there a way to formating the hard-drive?
    Can i delete my whole hdd or just window?

    Anyway, i want to get rid of all evidence that i even used windows and make a linux system my primary OS.
    Apparently installing Knoppix to hard disk is not recommended. I just tried the Kanotix install, and it seems to make Knoppix into a good standalone install. Otherwise, you should just go get a Debian CD and install it for real, or look at one of the other distros (like Red Hat) that has a user friendly install.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334

    Re: Main OS

    Quote Originally Posted by T_H_E_O_N_E
    Isnt there an easier way to install knoppix from scratch like when you install windows?
    Look this video http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/knoppix1

Similar Threads

  1. how to install koopppix without any boot loader
    By cv65user in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 08:58 AM
  2. Boot loader problem with XP Pro/Knoppix Dual boot
    By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
  3. grub boot loader read the boot file from a windows partition
    By cli168 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 03:57 AM
  4. boot loader and a few things
    By /dash in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 08:39 PM
  5. How can I boot Knoppix using windows boot loader?
    By J.A.X in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 02:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$250.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00