Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: REQ: Opera 8.50 (now ads-free!)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1

    REQ: Opera 8.50 (now ads-free!)

    Now that Opera is ADS-FREE, it would be awesome to have this web browser included!

    http://www.opera.com/free/

    Thank you for Knoppix!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Unfortunately, free is different than freely redistributable. You can download a copy of Opera for free. That does not mean that Klaus is free to include it in Knoppix. More importantly, even if he were to ask for and receive permission to include it in Knoppix, it does not seem that the freedom to redistribute it would pass along to anyone who makes a remaster disc based on Knoppix. This is a serious problem. It's not just a matter of one browser, think of the hundreds of programs (maybe thouanads by the time the DVD version gets full). If someone remastering Knoppix had to check on the legal status of each program and get permission to include it in their remaster, the ability to use Knoppix as a basis of a remaster system would be destroyed. So Klaus has wisely decided to stick with truly free open source software, not "free" software in the Opera sense. There are already several good and free browsers in Knoppix. I don't see a need for one that is less free than open source.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    And Then There's Firefox Beta 1

    Knopperking,

    You had way better luck with Opera than I did.

    I tried downloading and installing 2 different deb packages and the first would not install. The second installed with no errors but when I clicked on the icon nothing happened.

    So.... I downloaded Firefox Beta 1. I'm using it right now in Knoppix. I've been using it since day one at work with no problems.

    At work I also tried Opera for Windows but found the browser way to quirky for my taste. Firefox seems to autoconfigure itself with little need to tweak much if anything. Opera was not like that and the display was not even as crisp. I wish Opera well. It IS really fast. I'll say that much for it.

    sakiZ

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15
    I too wish Opera could be included in a distro but I understand why that is not possible. I have used it on Windows 95, 98se, ME, Xp, several Linux distro's, NetBsd2.0, and on a PalmOS PDA. IMO no other browser comes close in comparison. I had a pirated key for it but thought so much of it that I went ahead and bought it anyway. To be honest with you I wish it wasn't free now because with the companys interest switching to smartphones and other small devices I am afraid development of the main browser will lag behind.

Similar Threads

  1. Opera klik problems
    By wombat in forum Klik
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-14-2005, 08:45 PM
  2. Opera 8
    By probono in forum Klik
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 12:52 PM
  3. Add opera to re-master with kpackage??????
    By lilsirecho in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2005, 04:51 AM
  4. Opera and Java
    By Dave_Bechtel in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 06:59 AM
  5. 49 Mb Remaster with Opera
    By henrique in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 12:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99