Quote Originally Posted by boomboom
yeah unfortunately it isnt the same hardware and m/b. i guess i need to really learn what these damn commands are. thats the hard part. I keep catching myself using dos commands and filenames and slapping myself.
help a brother out...what files do i need to look in and what commands used to edit them? I have tried a few different ways but all suggestions lead to more learning so the more the merrier...or something like that...
I dont need a total walkthru just a tip or two.
Thanks for the replies.
Can you give us a bit more information?

Here's what's in my mind: on the old system you installed Knoppix 3.8.2 to the harddrive doing a poor-mans install. On that system you would normally boot with the CD and specify fromhd=/dev/hda1. Now, you have taken the primary master harddrive out of the old machine and installed it as a primary master harddrive on the backup machine. You've turned the backup machine on. You still boot with the CD and you still use fromhd=/dev/hda1. After a few moments, you see KDE on your desktop, except the icons look a little different.

I have no doubt that what is in my mind is not even close to what you are experiencing. So, how does the image in my mind differ from what's actually happening?

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org