Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Language setup

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3

    Language setup

    I have a Knoppix 4.0 Linux Tag edition, bought on EBay. I've tried to set the language to English, both at startup and from the system tray, but everything remains in German. How do I get around this? TIA David

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Language setup

    Quote Originally Posted by tathraman
    How do I get around this?
    You said you tried at start up and in the system tray. What exactly did you try? Can you do it again and then run this code in a root terminal shell:
    Code:
    ( set -x
    cat /etc/knoppix-version
    cat /proc/cmdline
    cat /etc/sysconfig/knoppix
    printenv
    ) >& post.txt
    Please post the contents of post.txt here. BTW, on a US-101 keyboard with a German configuration, the forward slash (/) is Shift+7, ampersand (&) is Shift+6, and greater-than (>) is Alt+62 (you must use the numeric keypad to enter 62).

    Of course, it is entirely possible that the DVD you got was German-only.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix

    Robert - thanks for your reply. I'm very much out of my depth with this - if you have the time and patience to help, I'd really appreciate it - if not, I quite understand that you probably have better things to do. First, I wouldn't know how to go about following your suggestion re root shell etc. What I did was to boot my computer up with the DVD, after having [with great trepidation] gone into BIOS and making the change. This then gave me a welcome screen that appeared to offer a choice of languages - I clicked on EN. When the program opened, still in German, I noticed a flag icon in the system tray, if that's what it's called in this system. That gave the choice of German, US English and a couple of others. I clicked the English icon - but no no avail.
    BTW - the DVD I bought has a lanaguage option and displays in English, which makes me doubt that the disc is in German only

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Knoppix

    Quote Originally Posted by tathraman
    This then gave me a welcome screen that appeared to offer a choice of languages - I clicked on EN.
    Interesting. This sounds very different from the downloadable DVD. When I boot the DVD, I get a boot prompt, boot: It sounds like you are getting something else. Or do you get a boot prompt?

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3
    I've had a very helpful response via another forum which has helped me a lot. It said: " When Knoppix begins to boot you will see a screen that says:
    Press keys F2 or F3 for help and boot options KNOPPIX V3.8 ...boot:

    The cursor will be sitting there blinking at the bottom of the screen next to the word boot:, simply type knoppix lang=us and press the Enter/Return key and you change the keyboard/language to US english.
    This works!
    David

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, USA
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by tathraman
    The cursor will be sitting there blinking at the bottom of the screen next to the word boot:, simply type knoppix lang=us and press the Enter/Return key and you change the keyboard/language to US english.
    This works!
    David
    Glad to hear you got it working. Can you post the URL of the forum where you found help?

    BTW, what you did is known as using a "cheatcode." For a list of them have a look at the Cheatcodes documentation. For example, another cheatcode you may wish to try is dma, which turns on Direct Memory Access (DMA) for harddisks and CDs. By default DMA is turned off because on some buggy systems it does not work too well. But on those systems where it does work, DMA can speed up disk read/write performance by a factor of 10 or more. Give it a shot with this:

    boot: knoppix dma lang=us

    Good luck and let us know how things go.

    Regards,
    - Robert
    http://www.cwelug.org

Similar Threads

  1. Can i use a 2 cd setup?
    By mrdivad in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-22-2006, 03:26 PM
  2. KDE language
    By mio in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2005, 06:52 PM
  3. keyboard language different from console language?
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 12:46 AM
  4. Language!
    By allenf in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 10:27 PM
  5. Lilo setup improperly on multi-hard drive setup, how to fix?
    By Kethinov in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 10:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW) picture

Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW)

$999.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p

$89.99



Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS picture

Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS

$8199.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91



Juniper Networks SRX220 8-Port Gigabit Layer 3 Managed Rackmount RJ-45 USB picture

Juniper Networks SRX220 8-Port Gigabit Layer 3 Managed Rackmount RJ-45 USB

$285.00