-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Three simple questions!
0. If you really want help, don't be an annoying dick. Just some helpful advice there.
1. You have two options:
a. ' ps ax ', find the process number of the program in question, and ' kill -9 ' the process number;
b. If it's a window in X, you can run ' xkill ' from a terminal prompt and just click on the window you want to kill. See ' man xkill '
2. Save whatever you're working on before logging off. Personally I don't use Knoppix from the live-cd much unless I'm troubleshooting a box; and even then I use console mode, no GUI. If you want persistent sessions, where the windows come back the way you want, you should install to HD.
3. I wish I could help with this one, but there are just some motherboards and sound chipsets that the Linux kernel does not support. Others may be able to step in and give you advice here though; post the results of ' lspci -v '.

Originally Posted by
nick47
Hello,
1. How do you close a program which won't close? (The Knoppix equivalent of "End Task")
2. How do you Log out/off/whatever you call it and log back on without losing all your stuff!?
3. How the hell do you make the sound work? Seriously, I mean, can anyone answer this?
I realise that this seems rude but I am one of those people who thinks Linux/Unix is rubbish. But I always try to give it a go! I really want to like it, but I can not get anywhere! Well I can get quite far, but I am finding the whole thing a huge uphill battle. The wiki website's not working, the FAQ is a bit lacking in info and the forum replies are all the same: "A quick search on the forum's will find that answer fo you!" It's NOT TRUE!! I have been looking all over the place!
If you are annoyed or think I am a dick, that's cool. I am an annoying dick.
Similar Threads
-
By xlancealotx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-10-2007, 09:17 PM
-
By RandomGoon in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-18-2004, 05:59 AM
-
By bob58 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-26-2004, 07:25 AM
-
By Sniffer in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-05-2003, 12:22 AM
-
By VeeDubb in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-03-2003, 02:49 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KARDV Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 500W/40Kpa Vacuum Cleaners for Home, 60Mins St...
$64.99

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$167.63

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

AC Adapter For Samsung Jet Bot VR30T80313W/AA Robot Vacuum + Charging dock
$50.00

Kensington Desktop Vac Computer Peripheral Vacuum w/ Brush Attachments & Cord
$15.00

Cordless Electric Mini Air Duster Blower Vacuum Cleaner for PC Computer Car Home
$16.99

95000PA Wireless Car Vacuum Cleaner Air Blower Wireless Handheld Rechargeable US
$21.98

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB
$82.00